New VHF radio

Adk1

I have an older VHF radio, think it is a Realistic or something like that. It has the really flat push buttons. It works but the buttons stick. Had allot of trouble changing to a particular channel. Not something I want to screw around with. I ahve the 8' antenna so that is good. I would like to replace the VHF this coming year. I dont know much about them. I know that there is one that sends out your location or something? I dont have any electronics that I would tie it to and most likely wont. Just looking for a decent VHF under $200. Recomendations would be appreciated. Thanks

I dont know much about them. I know that there is one that sends out your location or something?

When I upgraded last year I went with that , cost about $100.00 more BUT if your in deep-trouble they would know right where you were !!!!  It should be close to what you want to spend but I think they are a tad over $200.00.......

My understanding is that a radio which is capable of giving your location in an emergency needs to be connected to a GPS. I think you could do that for around $200 for both. Do radios have built-in GPS now? You'll need to ask.

When talking to the Coast Guard at Fort Niagara a couple of years ago about the location function on my radio and how to test it, I was told by them that on Lake O they were many years away from that capability with their equipment. What I have heard over the radio since in a distress call has always been a request from the CG to the sender for GPS coordinates information if available. 

This model has GPS built into the radio for DSC, no need for a network connection.  For the DSC to work you will need to program in your mmsi number which you can get for free from BoatUS or the Coast Guard.  Once it is programmed correctly all you have to do is press the red button to send a distress call with your gps coordinates automatically to the CG and any other boats with active DSC in your area.   

http://www.thegpsstore.com/VHF-Radios-C17.aspx

Standard Horizon GX1700 Explorer GPS VHF Radio - Black
The Standard Horizon GX1700 Explorer GPS is a self contained DSC radio with an internal 12 channel GPS antenna. Communicate and have the safety of DSC without the extra installation time.
Order now through December 31st, 2013 and get a $30 Mail-In Rebate from Standard Horizon!

STGX1700B $229.95
MAP Price

Click Add to cart for Our Pric