Braddock Bay 1/4/14 (novice report)

Sneaky Duck

Went out for about 2 hours for our first ice fishing of the year (3rd time ever for me and 1st time for my daughter Sammie).  We had a bucket full of minnows and were good to go.  Ice was nice and thick probably a good 9 inches and even though the wind picked up a bit at times the sun was nice and warm.  Best part for me was how much fun my daughter was having.  It started off on a great note when a crayfish snuck into the bait shops scoop and made his way into our bucket.  A friend named nipper now lives in our basement (well... for the next day or so at least).  The fishing was super slow so after about 5 minutes of jigging she gave up and proceeded to build a snow fort with her aunt while I fished.  I didn't try moving around much at all, and only had 3 holes to jig and 1 for a tip-up but we didn't get any bites.  As I sat jigging I over heard a guy who was leaving say that he had a camera and saw a bunch of fish in there but couldn't get any of them interested.  Of all the people we watched unless the guys in the flip-overs were getting bites were were all getting skunked.  Oh well.  I would almost put money on the fact that no one out there was having as much fun as Sammie and that makes me VERY happy.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.  Hopefully some of my minnows are still alive.

Went out for about 2 hours for our first ice fishing of the year (3rd time ever for me and 1st time for my daughter Sammie).  We had a bucket full of minnows and were good to go.  Ice was nice and thick probably a good 9 inches and even though the wind picked up a bit at times the sun was nice and warm.  Best part for me was how much fun my daughter was having.  It started off on a great note when a crayfish snuck into the bait shops scoop and made his way into our bucket.  A friend named nipper now lives in our basement (well... for the next day or so at least).  The fishing was super slow so after about 5 minutes of jigging she gave up and proceeded to build a snow fort with her aunt while I fished.  I didn't try moving around much at all, and only had 3 holes to jig and 1 for a tip-up but we didn't get any bites.  As I sat jigging I over heard a guy who was leaving say that he had a camera and saw a bunch of fish in there but couldn't get any of them interested.  Of all the people we watched unless the guys in the flip-overs were getting bites were were all getting skunked.  Oh well.  I would almost put money on the fact that no one out there was having as much fun as Sammie and that makes me VERY happy.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.  Hopefully some of my minnows are still alive.

Mr.Duck, where were you fishing ?

Um... we parked in the marina parking lot and went out... almost to the end of the docks.  We were the closest ones to shore.  Probably 3-400 yards off shore and 50-75 yards off the docks.

Thanks for the report my son and are planning on being there in the mornin early till bout noon if your out stop by and have a cup of coffee we will be in the blue cube hopefully off the ned of the dock

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the invite Ice Pirate!  We're going to be back down tomorrow but won't make it till 1:00ish.  Any tips on lures in that area?  I had a 3-4 inch Niagara minnow on the tip-up and a small jigging rap with a fathead minnow head on my rod.

Sneaky duck, for perch try an emerald shiner tail section on a small ice fishing jig. Tingle it-pause-tingle-pause.....near bottom.  Bites are barely detectable so you really need to concentrate on what you are doing.

Hey Sneaky - It's always great to hear fishing results but even better to hear about parents really interacting with their kids outside and away from TV's and video games etc. All three of my kids were introduced to fishing at an early age (my son 2 1/2 yrs. brief ice fishing :lol: ) and it is one of the most memorable things in my life and although my daughters outgrew it (once they discovered boys :) ) my son and I are still fishing partners some 30 years later and one of my daughters is still interested in fishing despite being a "college kid" :lol: Keep at it and best of luck.

post-145411-0-93237400-1388931874_thumb.jpg

sk8man, that's great!  and thanks for reminding me of my biggest fear... boys.   :P  I told my wife I was going to get a antler mount and have "Sammie's first boyfriend" engraved on it just waiting the day.  For now however... I'll keep fishing with her :D  We went out again today for about 2 hours.  I got a bite which took the head off my rattle spoon but that's about it.  I guess they were getting fish off shore.  We just hung out around the end of the docks again fished and threw snow balls.  I think I'll get some shiners and tie on some small jigs for next weekend.

Side note... whoever the guy was that stopped and told me about conesus bluegill and sunfish fishing... I REALLY appreciate that!  I'm going to take her down there as soon as we have a confirmed 6 inches or so. post-151836-0-98244400-1388959005_thumb.jpg

We were out 9-1230 didnt do much my son caught a perch and his first pike through the ice but that was it everybody I talked to said the same thing SKUNKED lol but at least we were out and he cought a few

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app