canadice 2/16

bondouley

I got onto the ice aorund 730 I went to the next small point south of the launch as i wanted to get away from the small crowd in front of the launch.  I made my way out to 83 ft of water (thanks to my smitty sled) and set up.  The ice was around a foot thick where I was. I turned on the humminbird tied on my go to canadice laker jig tipped it with 3inch berkley gulp smelt. I dropped it to the bottom and instantly trout were coming in for a look.  I couldnt get anything going for about the first hour despite all the lookers.  Then at aound 8:45 i got slammed and the fight was on.  I had just gotten a new st croix 31 inch medium rod and it was bent way over.  I got the fish to 35 ft when it decided to go back to the bottom half way down it gave a good head shake and pulled the hook  Damn! It felt like a good one . I lost 2 other smaller fish before deciding to get my heavier rod out cause there was too much flex on the hookset with the medium rod.  20 mins later i was hooked up again this time with my heavier rod. After a 5 min battle I iced a 31 inch laker around 10lbs. By this time it was around noon. I fished for another hour with out a bite so I decided to pack it in  All in all not a bad morning went 1 for 4 with the 1 being a nice fish.  I will post the pic when i get home tonight   

I got onto the ice aorund 730 I went to the next small point south of the launch as i wanted to get away from the small crowd in front of the launch. I made my way out to 83 ft of water (thanks to my smitty sled) and set up. The ice was around a foot thick where I was. I turned on the humminbird tied on my go to canadice laker jig tipped it with 3inch berkley gulp smelt. I dropped it to the bottom and instantly trout were coming in for a look. I couldnt get anything going for about the first hour despite all the lookers. Then at aound 8:45 i got slammed and the fight was on. I had just gotten a new st croix 31 inch medium rod and it was bent way over. I got the fish to 35 ft when it decided to go back to the bottom half way down it gave a good head shake and pulled the hook Damn! It felt like a good one . I lost 2 other smaller fish before deciding to get my heavier rod out cause there was too much flex on the hookset with the medium rod. 20 mins later i was hooked up again this time with my heavier rod. After a 5 min battle I iced a 31 inch laker around 10lbs. By this time it was around noon. I fished for another hour with out a bite so I decided to pack it in All in all not a bad morning went 1 for 4 with the 1 being a nice fish. I will post the pic when i get home tonight

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152176-13926577501754_thumb.jpg

bondouley......NNniiiiiiice!!. In getting that new St. Croix, perhaps U were not anticipating the big ones going for your offerings.... :thinking: ? Seriously, the real power that still-fished larger lakers, either wet or hard water, show when jigging can be a real eye opener for those who usually troll them in. Even one of the big guys seems more like working in an old boot compared to a similarly sized salmonid of almost any other type.....I wonder what was the size of that big one that got away. Nice report and pic :yes: !

Thanks panfisher and yes your absolutely right about the power that big lakers have especially through the ice but I actually bought the rod for walleye fishing next weekend and was just trying it out in the deep water and of course it cost me a big one cause of it all well lessen learned I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app