COLDBROOK CREEK its better late than never

:roll: back in 1991 the first year i bowhunted i found the creek was outa it banks ,diverted by beaver dams and gravel flows and was 100% not99% impassable to spawning trout . so being someone who grew up with a creek (post creek) in there back yard and played in it like a normal kid would a sandbox i called Avon (1991 ) and was told that i didnt understand water hydrolics my ideas wouldnt work and the kicker was when the rep for that area said coldbrook was considered a minor trout stream and most likley would not recive any funding for major work .when i informed him that was the MAJOR SPAWNING CREEK for Keuka lake he went silent for a second and repeated the water dynamics should be left to the pros..well somehow someone (1 person ) with a folding saw ,shovel and 4 days of labor put the creek back in its bed for about 5 years and the spawning went on, till the state went in there with a loader cleaned out the bottom pushed the loose gravel to the sides added rip rap and several willow grouths to reestlablishe the creek .GREAT well not totally as the area about 200yds below where they stoped was the weekest area prone to overrunning the bank, and all the loose gravel that was left exposed was washed down stream the following spring and moved the problem 2oo yds there .so a few years ago i see 4 guys looking real official looking over the creek well now there is a new problem as a recent bill or env. law was passed that stated the gravel can no longer be relocated to form new banks but needs to be trucked out and new brought in........todays paper THE Leader has a notice the state plans to remove 1000yds of loose gravel install 175 ft rip rap and 3 rock viens i think there falls i hope ... 20 yrs ago 1 loader 2 weeks of effort and a few well placed rocks could of kept the rainbows and the creek real happy at 10% of the cost, but what does aguy with no edubacation like me know.

Seems to me that the state is looking to ruin all of the natural repo of hte rainbows in all of the finger lakes!!! They ruined Catherine and sounds like they are doing a bang up job on Cold brook. It sounds like they are waisting money on passing bills that make no sence at all!!! I wish someone would start up a fishing forums conservation group and see if hte DEC would allow us to volunteer some of our time and help out with some of these issues and help out with the stream improvement\rehab projects.

Maybe I will send a letter and see how they would feel about the subject and get the ball rolling myself. Just hope to get some followers.

Thoughts....

maintianing the creeks has been a ongoing project on catherine since 1972 flood washed most cribbing out and weakend most of the rest as did coldbrook they just never brought coldbrook back up to preflood conditions..actually catherine ant doing to bad i know some of the little honeyholes are gone (lots of them) but the coffer dams installed and riprap are doing there job now if the fishermen would be a little more educated as to what happens when they stomp through the spawning beds after 2000 eggs were just layed there maybe the numbers(fish) would increase in the lake ..........and sleepers and manns creeks should NOT be fished at all (stomped ,kicked,snaged,booted)the only saving grace is that the rainbows start spawning in feburary and most of the big boys make it back to the lake long before april.but after 1000people stomp through every bed in the creek the surivial rate has to puney i would love for the state to shut down areas of the creek so spawning could occure uninterupted now that would fall under the KISS rule........ coldbrook needs more help than neglect at this point...it has always been a manmade creek so to say, as back in the 20ties it was basicly all swamp between hammondsport and just below bath the R/R was the first reason to contain coldbrook.

Stream improvements for rainbows? Never. All they care about is controlling the flooding ;( I agree 99% with what you said Ray. They don't need to shut down certain areas of Catharine though - they need to shut down the whole thing from fishing for a couple of years! So much potential, so many stupid fishermen.. I could go on and on about that stream forever.