Ice on the Niagara

Just a quick posting. There is solid ice from the falls downriver as far as one can see. It looks to be about 10 ft thick. It was an impressive site seeing all the various formations. The river above the falls in the intake area still contains a large amount of ice along the shoreline.

Did you see it in person or web cam? The live webcam at the falls shows the river free and clear. Modis lake erie sattelite view shows most of the ice is breaking up on Erie, but it is backed-up at Buffalo.

nice shot grey gost .......OK another tip from ray to the new guys and from some recient conversations with some charter capts who are a little new to satilight photos a tip to some old timers too ...i have found that in the summer if you get a overhead shot that looks like this you better be heading to the lake .this is a perfect example of the lake being "set up".what you see now is mostly mud from all the creeks but notice how it hugs the shore and flows east.in the summer when it sets up ,usually after several days of gentle north/ northwest winds the food chain "photoplantkon" or whatever that stuff is will pile up near shore and look very simular (slighty greenish color)concentrating the food line near shore and in a narrow area making it real easy to find and catch fish.part of me never being skunked in over 5 years of my onterio career is home work on this 15millon dollar fishfinder,the other is just raw skill on my part ...

Sorry for the somewhat late post. I have not been on the site for a few days. I saw the ice conditions I mentioned in person as I crossed the bridge at the falls. The conditions may have changed since then, However it was an incredible site to see ice that thick.

• 3 weeks later...

with the price of fuel where it is ,i feel this site needs to be refreshed.click on the one (top)grey ghost posted go to modis immag. and click on lake tha photo dont lie when the green is stacked so are the fish ,when the flow is backwards clockways the fishing will be worse (as a general rule)....the top center photo on page 2 is bad ;( top center on page 3 is GOOD :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...