We took twelve hours to scout the bar saturday. We were the only boat to pass the green can and head for open water. Surface temp 33, down temp35. Ugly cold water. It was stained and full of debris. It felt like march fishing. The west end is further behind than i thought. We did manage a dozen lakers. Im guessing the spring loc will be decided in the second week this year. Hope to see silver before June.

i was out there saturday and saw a few lakers caught all on 3 ways with live bait they wouldn't touch my jigs. i gave up and switch to browns and did very well.   It was cool to see the lakers busting bait on the surface old yellow tail rolling around.  I would be more concerned about the ice boom getting let out this late. Iceberg city....

Not always. Last year, a laker was in for grand prize. 34.06lbs? It ran it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That laker was in 2012 before Dave Chilson changed the format. No steelhead in the spring derby this year. He took the money and doubled the prizes in the salmon division. The way it is going, he is going to pocket a lot of money when the salmon division does not fill up.

That laker was in 2012 before Dave Chilson changed the format. No steelhead in the spring derby this year. He took the money and doubled the prizes in the salmon division. The way it is going, he is going to pocket a lot of money when the salmon division does not fill up.

Thanks Gambler. I guess I just over looked it! I was looking at the leaderboard from years back. That sucks, I think a lot of steelhead will still be in the streams anyway this year so it shouldn't effect that part. Some monster lakers have been taken the past few years and I think they have as much potential to win the spring derby than a king.

It is the rule above. Wet net charters is run by Matt yoblanski. Sorry think i spelled it wrong. Matt and a few others were to good at bringing in the big lakers. He has ten plus loc finishes. Including grand prizes. The loc is based on the east side of the lake. The captins and loc managment have continued to slant the rules ,not to make it a salmon derby. To give the advantage to the east end of the lake. They dont catch lakers in the spring on the east end.

It is the rule above. Wet net charters is run by Matt yoblanski. Sorry think i spelled it wrong. Matt and a few others were to good at bringing in the big lakers. He has ten plus loc finishes. Including grand prizes. The loc is based on the east side of the lake. The captins and loc managment have continued to slant the rules ,not to make it a salmon derby. To give the advantage to the east end of the lake. They dont catch lakers in the spring on the east end.

Actually you have that backwards.  LOC is based in Rochester and a few influential west end individuals wanted Kings to shine in the spot light.  They had influence to the LOC and changes were made..  Nothing at all to do with East end people. 

I'm ok with the rule, and not because i'm not a great lake trout fisherman.  There were a lot of lakers being taken and weighed in that didn't make the board and then guys were just discarding the fish...  Some of those  fish are 15 - 20 years old as well.

We don't catch lakers on the east end in the spring?? That's a very false statement. Everyday I got out after April I could land 20 lakers no problem. That even happened in August. All year the east end was piled with lakers everywhere. We catch lots of lakers in the spring.

The last two posts bring two good points. The spring leaderboard for lakers is ninty percent west end fish. I know they catch lakers east. The size is west. They are not lucky catches. It is long hours. Twenty lakers in hour can happen west. I dont target lakers. As for weigh in, there are still twenty paid finishes. Are people really taking less? I imagine what the lake would be like if we took less salmon, that would be great. I take six fish in the spring. Practice catch and release the rest of the year. The laker population seems to be doin just fine..

The last two posts bring two good points. The spring leaderboard for lakers is ninty percent west end fish. I know they catch lakers east. The size is west. They are not lucky catches. It is long hours. Twenty lakers in hour can happen west. I dont target lakers. As for weigh in, there are still twenty paid finishes. Are people really taking less? I imagine what the lake would be like if we took less salmon, that would be great. I take six fish in the spring. Practice catch and release the rest of the year. The laker population seems to be doin just fine..

We have plenty of trophy lakers taken over here also. This year now that the browns are on fire, it should be an equal derby, opposite of last year, where browns sucked and lakers were huge and all over. We will have to see.

The push is to promote the king fishery. Why not promote ALL of the world class species we have in Lake Ontario? The trout fishery holds the fishery together when the salmon fishing is tough or non existent.

I'm a fan of big fish too...but the LOC is becoming a joke if you ask me.  Who get's the grand prize when no salmon show up?  With all the ice still on Erie, this could be the year...

P.S.  nice report.  We were out there too and didn't see many drifters catching fish inside of the green can.  Trolled the shoreline and started popping rods with browns and cohos.

I'm a fan of big fish too...but the LOC is becoming a joke if you ask me. Who get's the grand prize when no salmon show up? With all the ice still on Erie, this could be the year...

P.S. nice report. We were out there too and didn't see many drifters catching fish inside of the green can. Trolled the shoreline and started popping rods with browns and cohos.

Send Dave Chilson an email letting him know how you feel.

The push is to promote the king fishery. Why not promote ALL of the world class species we have in Lake Ontario? The trout fishery holds the fishery together when the salmon fishing is tough or non existent.

You are exactly correct. Not everyone comes for kings. I know people who come just for browns and lakers. Why else?....their size. Lake Ontario produces trophies in all categories and the LOC should be open for grand prize for any specie in the game.