I-Bay First report of the year - 5/7/14

Fished for the first time this year - solo from 6:30 AM til about 10 AM. Fished east of the bay where the armada was sitting, although I fished the edges of the pack anywhere from 20-50 fow.

First rip came ten minutes into my trip in the warmer water in front of the I-Bay area - rigger down 10', DW NBK pattern and low and behold a 20#12 ounce king to start the year!! Initially I thought it was a lake trout, but after seeing some silver flash and a few "holy f--k it's a king...." lines later, it was landed solo.

After that, things slowed down until I abandoned my surface sticks and went with the riggers and a thumper rod to target lake trout. I landed 4 more fish after that - all lake trout. Lakers were caught on Cowbells pulling orange/chartreuse Spin-n-Glows and peanuts and special thanks to Paul Czarnecki and his advice in the off season to try a yellow dodger/green spin-n-glow, as that's what I used on the thumper rod and it caught one laker.

Great day to be out. Tomorrow will be round two with my good buddy Anthony.

Good luck to all this year - may you all be blessed with safe waters and great fishing,

Chris

post-141087-0-58259600-1399494691_thumb.jpgpost-141087-0-23757500-1399494716_thumb.jpgpost-141087-0-78154900-1399494737_thumb.jpgpost-141087-0-90419000-1399494758_thumb.jpg

Great job. Glad to hear you enjoy the water again,what type of boat do you use now?

Give my regards to Anthony

Thanks bud,

Still have the yellow Trophy.

Good luck this year - I will let Anthony know you said Hi.

- Chris

Chris.....way to go!  Glad to see your back out.  Now take some advice.... if you see any NOAA or other bouy's out there..... STAY AWAY!!! 

:P

Hey Jason,

That's a good one - thank the good Lord that I didn't encounter any buoys yet.

Be safe and keep in touch,

Chris