Excavating in Seneca 6/22

Fished Friday out in front of Belhurst and did fairly well with Stinger's on 5 color core and a Sutton 35, 40 down on the rigger with a 44 for a slider. Ran east and west as that seemed to be the most productive. Went down this morning to repeat the program. Got a late start and didn't get set up till about 9:00. In the first 2 hours of trolling, I only managed one Laker about 25" on the Sutton 35, down 40. I did notice a lot of hooks hugging the bottom so at about 11:00 I pulled out the Joe Kane Victrolla and attached a variety of Twin Minnows. I started with a couple of black and switched to a yellow which I had a hit on, but dropped it immediately. Changed over to an F7 Silver Flatfish because I can feel them better, and started digging bottom. Didn't take long! For the next hour (had to leave) I managed 5 Lakers. I don't think it was on bottom more than 5 minutes before I was into another. One dink about 12 inches, and three were in the 23 to 28 inch range. Then there was the last one. I'd love to tell you how big he was and include a picture but unfortunately, I never got there. He was in the net twice before the hooks pulled and he bid me farewell! I fish out of a 14 footer so the big net takes up too much room in the boat and takes up residence in the garage. I think I need to find a way to make it fit! Great day none the less!

Nice job with Joes Victrola. Thanks for the report! He is a class act and will help you with anything Victrola related well after the purchase! This is a pic of mine that Joe built. It's beat up A little now but when I first bought it it looked like a fine piece of mahogany furniture! post-150731-14034844611503_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I troll with a small 14 as well. Rig the big net up into a piece of PVC like a rod holder. Let it stand straight up in the sky this will keep.it out ta the way while you fight the bigger fish to the side of the boat . Pull the net and scoop them bad boys up from behind.

Yes they are like a piece of fine furniture apb. Mine is Cherry and Birdseye Maple and it's gorgeous. I didn't want to even put it in the boat, until I started catching fish with it.

Good suggestion trouthunter9. I'll have to give that a try. Watching that brute "swim" out of the net twice was enough to make me realize I've gotta do something!