swivel and knot ?

I've used that knot on the dr cables as well in a pinch and no problems at all. Just not on the one with the probe. ;) Every since Tim posted it way back when. I've run all my wires with it and never had a problem as I did with the crimps on occasion. A lot quicker and easy-er with no chance of weakening the wire with the crimp version.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a rookie question on tieing wire to a swivel. I am going to be spooling up a reel with Malin 7 strand 30# wire. Before I even started sppoling the wire up, I wanted to try tieing a swivel to it. was able to tie it alright, but that isn't the problem or question I have. I tightened the overhand knot up and then cut the tag end of the line. I pulled on the swivel and the main line broke right at the knot. I do not think I had 10 or 15 lbs of pressure before it broke. I do not have my scale with me at the moment, I tried the same knot with 30# Big Game and the mono took a little more to break. I am just wondering if I might have bougth a bad batch of wire or something. Have any of you guys had any problems with the wire breaking? Thanks

No, never. One of my wire diver rods is going on it's 3rd season with the same knot, never had to retie it. the half hitch at the swivel is really what holds this knot in place, the overhand is just to keep it from moving if there somehow is ever some slack.

I can't imagine what could be causing that for you.

Tim

I'm not for certian either Tim. I am just wondering if I an tightening the overhand knot too much and it is kinking the wire, but i tried it a couple different times and all 3 times it broke right at the knot. I understand that the half hitch is what really holds the knot in place. Maybe I am not tieing it correctly which is always a possibility knowing myself. Thanks for you input.

Clyde