Gas Prices

I was talking with Runnin Rebel the other night on the ShoutBox (awesome feature on the Pro version of LOU and reason enough to drop the $20 to upgrade your membership!) about fuel costs and how it's gonna affect our fishing. I live 65 miles from the lake and with my Dodge getting a whopping 14 mpg, it's starting to hurt to fill it up. I know lots of you guys live further away from the lake than I do (and trailer your boats) and I was wondering what you'll be doing to help offset the cost of fishing and getting to the lake? I know I won't fish any less, but I may decide to trade in that gas-guzzler for a car that gets 35mpg.

billy i think its time to move closer to the lake. fortunately i live less than a mile the lake and less than a mile from where my boat is docked. my boat has a 112 galon tank, which hurts at the pump,but gets great mileage trolling. unfortunately because im selfemployed i average about 35000 miles a year on my silverado (what a nice gas bill that is anually). with absolutely no relief in sight for fuel costs either. basically fuel bills suck and costs of doing business is directly affected. small business and middle income america suffer for it too.

Just going to keep fishing. I thought about getting a gas buddy to keep at the house but after figuring in the cost and then the cost to go fill it, the hassle of transporting a 100 gallon gas buddy,my time etc.... Better off just running down to the marina to fill up.

RR

i travel 230 miles 1 way from, pa. to sodus bay were my camper is. i try doing long weekends fri. sat. & sun. or sat. sun. &mon. and also bring a few friends to split costs mainly gas. i was going to upgrade from my 22ft. but with the price of gas my 9.9 kicker keeps the trolling costs down it sucks that the marinas are getting 30 to 40 cents a gallon higher than town prices. one good thing is i do not have to tow my boat back and forth that would be a costly item could be lots of boats for sale this year

Billy I hear ya :( I used to live less than a mile from the lake and now "have" to drive 35 minutes to the lake and 35 minutes back home. I drive a Trail Blazer that gets crappy gas mileage (though better than my Durango did) and trailer my boat both ways. It's gonna hurt ALOT this year :evil: :evil: :evil:. I may leave my boat on occasion at a friends house about 1/2 way there if I go back to back days to save a few bucks.

IT'S GONNA SUCK AND WILL EFFECT HOW MUCH I GO!!!! Fortunately my boat is paid for so I don't have that payment to deal with. I have a few friends that I take out and have always in the past never excepted $$ for gas but will now when offered ;(

We as a nation need to get together and try to slow this down somehow :?

Well Billy, I went and bought a Cottage in Sodus Bay. This way I can live there all summer long and have a place to slip the boat. My other home is paid for and I needed a tax deduction, so it works for me. Walk 20 feet to the dock and off I go fishing. Hopefully the water levels will be better this fall as I had to pull the boat last year at the end of August. But I will always go out fishing and am always looking for new people to go fishing with that can help with gas costs.

I drive a Chevy Silverado and am looking to buy a car that gets better gas mileage. I average about 25,000 miles a year for work with it. Now I can use a car for work, so that will save me some change for gas in the boat.

Gregg

Supply is down, demand is up and the US dollar suks. Since oil is traded in US dollars the price automatically goes up as the dollar goes down. That equals high gas prices. Very little we can do about it. They will continue to rise every month until the dollar stabilizes or increases.

My trips to the Mirimachi (Canada)river have doubled in price because of the dollar. It used to be 65 a day now its 125 a day. Not including the guide and that had gone from 30 a day to 55 a day. That does not include my gas money either.

Unfortunately we are going to have to deal with this for some time.

RR

Try this. It can not hurt.

don't usually do fowards but this just might work. It's worth a try.

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton.(not the greatest credential) If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this PLEASE.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain dayâ€

I live over 200 miles from the lake. This year I am going to leave my boat in Fair Haven instead of trailering it every time I go to the lake. Not only will I save gas but I'll also save on tolls and wear and tear on the boat, trailer and my truck.

Brian(Goin Deep)

I don't have a choice I live 326 miles from Fair Haven ;( and 426 miles from the bar ;( The gas is more than the room and food I use to be able to come that way for under 200 for everything for 5 days now It's a killer but you only live once and like Reeldiel said :lol: stop feeding the kritters then the wife, I can't stop feeding my little one she is my life but every one else seeYA ;)

My wife and I are lucky. We have a camper on leased property. Only 5 miles to the lake. We live in NH and it's exactly 300 miles doorstep/doorstep. I run a 24 foot Thompson with a Yamaha 9.9 kicker. The kicker takes the sting out of the price of gas. I never gas at a marina. I always trailer the boat to a gas station and gas her up there. We are both in our 60's and money is getting tighter for everybody. I, personally, have never fished anyplace that I enjoy more than Lake Ontario. The cost of getting there hurts and once there the cost of groceries hurts as well. My Dad, RIP, once gave me a bit of advice. "The cost of living is EVERY penny you make." Along with that piece of advice I'll say one more thing. If you don't have the money to pay for something, DO NOT put it on a credit card. In time they will consume your income.

Guest ReelDiel
I don't have a choice I live 326 miles from Fair Haven ;( and 426 miles from the bar ;( The gas is more than the room and food I use to be able to come that way for under 200 for everything for 5 days now It's a killer but you only live once and like Reeldiel said :lol: stop feeding the kritters then the wife, I can't stop feeding my little one she is my life but every one else seeYA ;)

i was kidding!!!! ;) lol

I try to fish Ontario 2 times a week. I think this year it will be once a week and Cayuga once a week. It will cost me 60.00 round trip to fish Ontario towing my boat. That would be $120.00 a week plus gas for my boat.

I don't like the idea about boycotting Mobil/Exxon... I have stock in that company!!!

How are gas prices affecting your fishing? It's not, if you wanna play you

gotta pay. The only thing I'm doing different is buying gas at either Valero or Sunoco, they don't import any foreign oil, there is one other one but the name escapes me at the moment. Hauling the boat I average about 14.5 mpg.

Splitshot115

we can all buy blowboats get some of those stupid hats and cut off all the guys with moters cause well have the right of way that way we can stay on the hot spots.otherwise its a decision beer or gas.............guess ill take up jigging..problem solved .. 8)

half the season i am in Olcott and the other half in Port bay about a hour away from each port.. Try to stay away from towing the boat as much as possible due to the 8.1 liter silverado I have which gets about 8-10 mpg when towing. Guys I fish with are pretty good about pitching in once in a while. ONLY A FEW OF THEM GOT FISH HOOKS IN THEIR POCKETS.

How are gas prices affecting your fishing? It's not, if you wanna play you

gotta pay. The only thing I'm doing different is buying gas at either Valero or Sunoco, they don't import any foreign oil, there is one other one but the name escapes me at the moment. Hauling the boat I average about 14.5 mpg.

Splitshot115

I found a website which details which gas companies import Middle Eastern Oil and those who do not. Here's the rundown I found. I'm guessing these are 2007 numbers.

These companies import Middle Eastern Oil:

Shell: 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco: 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon/Mobil: 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway: 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco: 62,231,000 barrels

Citco Gas comes from South America.

The following do NOT import any Middle Eastern Oil:

Sunoco, BP, Hess, ARCO, Conoco, Sinclair.

I pass 2 Exxon stations going to and from work. Just in 9 hours today, the prices went up 7 cents a gallon at one station and 9 cents at the other. On the other hand, of the 3 Sunocos I pass, their prices stayed the same and are at the same prices they were Friday afternoon. I paid $3.21 today at one of the Sunocos. The Exxons were showing $3.43 and $3.49 for regular 87 octane. :shock:

Guest ReelDiel

I work for Sunoco so thanks guys. Same reason I own 2 GM vehicles. Friends that work for Powertrain and Delphi. I'm sure every little bit helps. Also remember Citgo is basically owned by Venezuela. So try to buy from them last.

Also here is some neat info the top importers of crude: 1. Canada(2,500bbls a day) 2. Saudia Arabia (1,600) 3. Mexico (1,300) 4. Venezuela (1,100) 5. Niegera (1,000) 6. Iraq (800)

Besides Sunoco(best choice), if you live in the Niagara region I would also highly recommend Kwik Fill which is made in Warren, PA by United Refining Company. 100% of there crude comes down from Canada right by the Grand Island Bridges from Enbridge and is refined right in PA.