sandy creek pen rearing update

this is the email i recieved today from the man in charge.

Hello all volunteers,

I would like to start this email off by thanking everyone for participating in the project this year. Your enthusiasm has been the driving force behind the success at our site. Just minutes ago I finished a phone conversation with a representative from the State DEC. The nice weather has forced us to cancel the rest of the project for this year. Our fish are going to be direct stocked from the truck directly into the Lake . The maximum sustained water temperature penned fish can tolerate is 65 degrees and we reached that point yesterday. Everyone is invited to meet the stocking truck at the direct stocking site (the public boat launch at Sandy Creek ) at 11:00am. Matt Sanderson from the State DEC will take a quick water temperature and then the fish will either be released there or driven over to Hamlin Beach State Park to be pumped directly into the Lake . I have been assured by the DEC that even with direct stocking we will receive the full number of fish for our area of the lake. In addition we will have the opportunity to raise Chinook Salmon as well as our Steelhead in 2009.

Thank you all,

Sincerely,

Robert Holden

That's a shame, I know were looking at the same prospect at Olcott, we had mid 50's in the harbor on saturday when we put the pens in and I'm sure this warm weather hasn't helped the matter any. Our's are to be delivered on thursday and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the same situation.

Tim

yeah it definetely sucks. sandy creek surface temperature was 64.7 degrees and 3' down 62.8 degrees. the truck ,direct stock them at the public boat launch (15000? steelhead). im curious to know how other pen rearing sites are doing with temps

Oswego had obstacles as well, our fish were penned (40,000 Salmon and 20,000 Steelhead) just a week ago from today. The temp in the Oswego marina was 51 degrees when they were put in, 5 days later we have 62, our river was dropped which hurt and the warm temps all played part.

The Kings were towed out last night and released and one pen of Steelhead were also released yesterday, I was finding more floaters each night as the temps were rising in the one trout pen so they let them go.

This was the first year I ever remember not having the fish in the pens for at least 3 to 4 weeks and more.

Lets hope the Kings do well, these 40,000 were all the Kings we will have stocked in Oswego !!

Thats our update.

Tom

Anyone have any info on what is happening at the Oak regarding the pens and water temps? I know that they arrived on the 15th and things seemed to go well from what I read. But unsure of the latest. Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but honestly I don't put much faith in the direct stock. Been through it before as many others have, and seen some not so good results of such. Hope I'm wrong-

We got lucky at Olcott. Wednesday the temp was 64 wed evening, but the NE wind pushed a lot of cold lake water into the harbor and cooled it down to 54 by thursday afternoon when the fish showed up, so we were able to put ours in the pens. Don't know how long it's gonna last, but we'll get a little time with em anyways.

Tim