Anyone see the new Fishhawk display unit yet?

Anyone see the new Fishhawk display unit yet?  Was in the last issue of Great Lakes Angler. 

Here are some of the features:

- Ability to send the display via bluetooth to your smartphone

- Surface speed has been added back on the XD

- Can log each fish caught with the actual readings from the unit at the time of the catch on your phone

- Red/Orange back light instead of blue

I bought my X4D last summer brand new....and looks like Im going to have to upgrade already.  I really didnt like having to use GPS speed to read the currents (surface vs current speed) so will be nice to have surface speed on the unit.  The catch log is also a great feature since it will really help dial in setups. 

Anyone see the new Fishhawk display unit yet?  Was in the last issue of Great Lakes Angler. 

- Can log each fish caught with the actual readings from the unit at the time of the catch on your phone

I bought my X4D last summer brand new....and looks like Im going to have to upgrade already.  I really didnt like having to use GPS speed to read the currents (surface vs current speed) so will be nice to have surface speed on the unit.  The catch log is also a great feature since it will really help dial in setups.

Saw that one coming with all the used XD units out there for sale Funny they told us we didn't need surface speed and now we do . Just got to love marketing.

Does the complete unit have to be upgraded? Are the power and transducer cables at least compatible?  Darn! I just bought my unit last year and love it, but the upgrades seem tempting.

Everything else is the same.  If you want the depth though, I think the probe is different.  The problem I see is, would someone even want to buy just an X4D display?  If not, then its going to be a full $300 to upgrade.

Just confirmed with Fish Hawk.  There display is a direct swap in if you have the newer X4 or X4D probe and ducer.  If you have an X4 probe, it just wont show the depth.  Price point is going to be $350 for the display unit by itself.  I just wish they would offer some upgrade package/trade in for people who just dropped nearly $700 for the X4D package in the last year.  

The whole X4D thing without surface speed was a farce from the get go . it was either not well thought out or a marketing thing . it is a decent product but not good enough to change my old fish hawk 800 and Sub Troll for me anyways.

Edited by bigblue

Just confirmed with Fish Hawk.  There display is a direct swap in if you have the newer X4 or X4D probe and ducer.  If you have an X4 probe, it just wont show the depth.  Price point is going to be $350 for the display unit by itself.  I just wish they would offer some upgrade package/trade in for people who just dropped nearly $700 for the X4D package in the last year.  

If you already have the Fish Hawk X4D you will have to buy an upgrade kit and swap out the display and the probe to get the new surface speed X4D unit and phone app capability. The only thing compatible is the power cable and transducer. Probably looking at 500 plus dollars to upgrade. Probably not worth those extra dollars if you bought a new X4D system for around 700 to 750 bucks.

Why do you say you would need a new probe if you already have the X4D?  When I talked to fishhawk, they said a direct swap of the display units work for both probes.  If you have an X4 probe, it just wouldnt display the depth on the display so therefore a X4D probe would display everything.

Edited by vetting

Why do you say you would need a new probe if you already have the X4D?  When I talked to fishhawk, they said a direct swap of the display units work for both probes.  If you have an X4 probe, it just wouldnt display the depth on the display so therefore a X4D probe would display everything.

That's what he told me in the email when I asked him what was needed in a upgrade kit for the new X4D unit with surface speed? I'll confirm again with Trevor from Fish Hawk.

Edited by MikeyP

I was one of the unfortunate ones who bought an X4D in the summer. I did not realize surface speed wasn't read. First time I had it out I thought something was wrong with it. Could not believe they would develop a depth unit and not upgrade the display unit to read everything. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I was able to play with the new unit at the end of last year. I can't blame anyone for having a bad taste about back to back new products of that price level. The good news is the probes will work for either display and the transducers are the same so all you will need to do is buy a new display unit if you want the new unit. The ability to be able to save data and store it to review later I think is vital. If you are making an east troll and hook up with a double you can save the data so when you come back through that spot going east again later you can make sure you get the surface speed and down speed the same.

Interesting. I use an x4 purchased in 2010. Everything works great except surface speed. Have calibrated by the book many times. I did have a problem with my probe as well. I sent it in after two years and they sent me a new one, at no charge, in less than a week. Out standing product and service. I wouldnt want to troll without one.

The ducer had the paddle wheel on it for the x4d. Ducers should all be the same. So it should be a direct swap of the displays and the display units and that's it.

You are correct. You have to swap out the head unit if you already have a X4D system and want to upgrade to surface speed. I checked again with Trevor and he told me his first answer to me was incorrect because he thought he was replying to someone with a X4 unit. I keep wondering though if the new unit's surface speed will be as accurate as my GPS SOG? Is it worth a 300 dollar plus swap just for the surface speed? Isn't there also a app you can download on your smart phone with the new unit?

Edited by MikeyP

The big advantage of the new unit will be the use of the app. One reason is you can have multiple displays now by using the display that comes with the unit and a iPad or smart phone as another. The important advantage for the tech savvy fisherman is with the app you will have the ability to save data. I think this unit will be a hot item in 2015 and will be worth the upgrade price. 

Yeah Im hoping that there is some trade in.  Once I started thinking about it, my X4D display would be useless for resale.  Someone looking to upgrade would have to buy an X4D probe and would still be without surface speed.  Regardless of what the trade in program is (maybe $100 off or something), I will have spent $1000 on the setup in a span of 12 months.  

Pad and pen 5 bucks. Smartphone pictures free. Data recorded...I'll save that cost for a display to replace the inevitable loss of a probe and get 40 dollars left in my pocket. Surface speed means very little but thats my opinion and the current digital display on the x4 is clear enough from the helm to the stern where mine is mounted. I just hate planned obsolescence for companies gain.

I use my old Sub-Troll 900 to tell temp and speed at the ball. I have my GPS SOG that gives me a starting point if for some reason the probe isn't in the water. Aside from that, I don't much care what my surface speed is.