Software update for Lowrance HDI and CHIRP units 1-23-15

Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...

Hookyour unit up to DC power source (e.g. 12 Volt battery. You download the file to your computer, open up the Zip file and expand it to the UPD file, then copy that UPD file to a SD microchip (inserted in the SD adapter that comes with the chip), place the chip in the Lowrance unit and then power it up. It will recognize the update and automatically install it. Make sure it is finished before powering it off.

After searching around my unit I couldn't find anything that would work with the unit on and I couldn't find anything in the manual or on the website so it was trial and error for me until I figured it out. It would have been easier had I known there was a video :lol:  The one complaint I've always had about my Lowrance products is the sucky documentation. I've had good luck with their products but it is always "learn through experimentation" rather than good documentation.

• 3 months later...

Can't seem to connect to the website. Error log every time I try it? Tried different computers too?

Most of their links are no good and they don't have a very good software update program for older models. I tried going through the email ( contact ) help and got a reply back saying we value out customers but they did not answer my question . Tried to call them and hung up after on hold for 10 mins waiting for a service rep .

While I just bought an elite -7 a few months ago, I will say their customer service stinks IMO

I agree that Lowrance has poor service as well as poor documentation. The tech folks at Navico (parent company) leave a lot to be desired too in the way of helpfulness. I think Imay be done with them after this unit.

Most of their links are no good and they don't have a very good software update program for older models. I tried going through the email ( contact ) help and got a reply back saying we value out customers but they did not answer my question . Tried to call them and hung up after on hold for 10 mins waiting for a service rep .

While I just bought an elite -7 a few months ago, I will say their customer service stinks IMO

I know Rich. I inherited a couple of their high end units that came with the boat I bought. I shutter at the thought of needing service on these units at some point. I hope I'm wrong about that.