Inline planer recommendation

Guys, I've run otter boats in the spring for browns, with some success (don't get out much), but I think I'd like to try inline planers this year for the whole season.

What board do you recommend for inline? I have a couple copper setups that I always run a dipsy off. I was thinking of running the inline off mono or braid, and using either a jet diver or snap weight for depth. I read somewhere that you could run a dipsy (non-mag) off the Church tx22, but it seems that would be borderline.

Board - Church tx22, Offshore? I like the church with the clip to ensure I don't lose the board.

Your thoughts on board and any rigging limitations are appreciated, thanks.

TX 22's -  the TX44's too unwieldy and can dive when close to the boat if not careful TX22's seem about right for most things and are easier to manage.

Offshores and Church both have great boards. The offshores and the smaller church boards (tx-22 and walleye) are perfect board for everything up to and including a 250' of copper. Anything beyond that you will need to run a church tx-44.

We run 400 ft off copper and less on walleye boards I think the tx22 boards track a little better with shorter copper and core. The 44 boards are to heavy

You guys REALLY should have made it to the LOTSA show last month. Greg from blood run had his 44's there with the modifications. I have never had an issue running them but I know some have. The new modification eliminate any possibility of ANYONE having an issue.

You're really missing out not running inlines but there's been enough arguing on that subject already. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The ONLY problem I had with the 44's (and it only happened once) was that when I had to slow up reeling one in to deal with something else about 10 ft away from the side of the boat that board dove under the boat and it was about all I could do to retrieve it. When they do dive they are a "bear" to retrieve. They track fine and I still use them for "heavier" stuff but the 22's and Walleye board are more of an "all around" use board in my opinion. The boards are fine until that dive problem occurs.

Edited by Sk8man

Yep---they make the worlds largest diving plug and I HATE when that happens.

The key to it NOT happening is to keep the rod tip as low as possible-especially as the board gets close. In your case, with the board 10' away putting the rod in a holder was the LAST thing you want to do. Much better to reel it another 6 feet and lift the board out of the water.

If a board does dive on you the ONLY way to get it to come up is to free spool the reel. I've done this many times with a ticked off King on the other end and still boated the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This weekend we will be publishing a fairly exhaustive review and modification blog post on our website, it will automatically appear here in the sponsors section.   Pictures and discussions about Walleye and TX-44 from Church and Offshore Tackle boards.    We did not have success with TX-22's, they have a fixed weight system designed for complete stop scenarios when super slow trolling, however, when pulled at higher salmon speeds with heavier coppers, they do NOT perform remotely close to either the Walleye boards or TX-44's when modified.

If you think your boards are pulling good and they are off the rear quarter of your boat..they are not pulling good.   They need to be waaaay up the side of your boat, and the modifications help greatly with this.   The modifications allow for super easy retrieval and optimal forward running performance.

Diving at the boat as Paul discussed is another issue, that is 100% operator error.   Keep your rod tip pointed into the water and the nose of the board will stay up.

Most people forget that with the exception of the TX-44, none of these boards were ever designed to pull copper or even longer lengths of leadcore.   These are slow trolling planing devices, or for pulling flatlines with stickbaits or bottom bouncers for walleyes.   We took them and fly around with long coppers, so they need to be modified to perform better in those situations.   When they do perform as they should, they are very effective.

Edited by bloodruntackle

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that information on your blog BR. Your tips should improve the way my homemade inlines track. They work fine the way they are but the fine adjustments should help.

post-143614-0-80819200-1426329412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patriot

Back in late seventies thru eighties & into mid nineties when I chartered on Lk O , I pulled a double board manufactured by Laurvick release company . Pulled from 25' to 30' boats and boards ran very well at mid ship !

We never used copper in those days but I always fished LC in spring on inside Positions I believe . Anytime acted up was my fault but rarley had dive issues !

Pulling all the copper today & full leads definitely changes board attitude . We never had to deal with fleas etc , we fished lures

hardly any bait rigs so I cannot comment on today's issiues . However before I would fish 600' of copper I would Drail

the copper

to cut down on extreme lengths , don't know if this would resolve that issue but I would give it a shot .

I don't use in-lines in the spring for browns, in my experience they are more of a pain. In the spring usually we are in the browns pretty good and re-deploying rods is so much easier with big boards. Let back, clip on, let out, fish on, reel, net, repeat.   No board to screw with when you have a young steelie doing acrobats or big brown ripping line.

If I am walleye fishing by myself or with 1 other person then I will use in-lines because there is a constant pull and the fish is less likely to come off.

The in-lines I use are the cabela's boards I like the releases they have over other boards.