In the market for a new fish finder.

I'm new to the sport so the latest and greatest seems to be hard to navigate through so here I am asking you guys what works for you. I have a fish hawk 840 already so the temp and speed is covered. I'd like to keep it under $800 for sure. Not sure on the type of transducer either I will need also as there are many different ones. It will be going on a Penn Yann 245 Contender. I'm all ears. The $150 walmart special I have just isn't cutting it. Thanks to all in advance for the advice.

Coup

I agree with fishstix. I have the FCV 600L and love it. I also have an eagle fishmark 320 on the back of the boat that is great for the price. I believe gander mt. has them for around $120.

I had to buy the transducer separately and got the transom mount. It looks like the prices have gone up since March (what hasn't :roll: ).

I think I would have liked the thru-hull `ducer but couldn't get any info on wether it show the `rigger balls or not. That feature is important to me but by the way this unit displays my balls ,`rigger balls that is ( :$ ), I think it would show them even with the thru hull `ducer set a little forward on the hull.

If you want to see where the balls are get a finder with a dual cone transducer, 50 kz will see the balls with a wde cone and 200 kz will give depth and definition. switch back and forth for the info you want on balls and fish. make sure you get plent of wattage to see the details of thermocline etc. yes faruno is a good brand, and if you get asingle purpose fish finder you can get a very good unit for near 800 frogskins, minus the gps

I just got a lowrance 525 DF it came with a 50k/200k transducer and an external GPS antenna and I think it was 500W RMS 4000W PP it seems real nice so far. I got it for $622.00. I am still learning to use all the functions.

Gene

I just checked it is now 646 @ http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 740&page=2

I know you are on a budget, who isnt? I have a Lowrance 136 DF and it aint cutting it either. I am searching for a Furuno 582 right now. I wish I could have taken everyones advice when I was told to get the best electronics I could afford. But other bills came first. I fished with a buddy who had a Furuno 582 and ever since wanted to throw mine overboard. Might be worth the wait until you can afford more. I would be $500.00 bucks ahead.

Coup:

Do you need GPS with your FF or is that covered?

For sure get DF. The 50khz is very handy. Never a bad idea to pass up redundency when it is cheap. If your down speed probe/system fails, you will like seeing your balls to confirm depths.

I suggest you get the speed and temp sensors as well. As stated above, redundency is great and cheap when upgrading a system. It is always expensive and dear when you find you need it later. Also, you will not want to be using your down probe when fishing the shallows for browns. 10 feet of water is no place to drop your probe. You'll be crushing mollusks before you know what's happening. Also, the speed and temp at 10 feet will be close enough to surface conditions. You'll be looking for surface temp breaks. Also, late summer and fall when targeting salmon in the shallower water, the probe is at risk when following close to the bottom. Lots of fish taken several feet above bottom in 75 FOW. The bottom can rise up and smite thy balls with a mighty and swift vengence.

I bought a Lowrance LMS-527C DF with internal GPS last year. All the probes included for about $675 from Hodges Marine Electronics. I like it very much.

I just upgraded to a larger boat (keeping the 18 footer) and just bought all the sensors and harnesses to plumb the 527 into the new boat (28 footer). I looked at the FCV 620 for the new boat but when push came to shove, the 527 works so well that I couldn't justify spending more money for another FF. $330 for all the sensors, harnesses and brackets allows me to swap out my control head to which ever boat I'm using. (This also lets me learn and stay current on 1 system versus 2 which becomes more important with age (I'm sure glad we don't need to program VCRs to catch fish)).

More importantly, if this is a new-to-you boat, think about your electronics as a system. All the major and good brands have thier electronics worked into networked systems. My new-to-me boat has a menagerie of different manufacturers (SITEX, Northstar, Raymarine, Cannon and now Lowrance). not much networking abilty there. I frequently think of ripping it all out and going with 1 brand so I can multifunction the control heads. Maybe I'll do that if I add RADAR.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Jekyll

Dapper Dan

Mexico

Thanks for all the advice and opening my eyes to other options that work. "That work" is the key. My GPS is a hand held Garmin that I use for hunting. I really never thought about networking. I like the idea of having things compatible. I am in no hurry to buy so I will look around a bit. Thanks again for the input. Probably going with a unit that has it all. Bass Pro has a Lowrance in Auburn for about 1700$ with everything plus a monitor a blind man could see. My wife would kill me!!!!!!!!!!

I am not a seasoned expert, however I put a Lowrance 525 C DF in my boat and it sure seems like it has a tremendous amount of capacity for the money(600+transducer). You can try it out online at the Lowrance site by downloading the simulator- you should do this even if you buy one,because by the time you go out the first time with it you will actually know how to use it.

I just got a lowrance 525 DF it came with a 50k/200k transducer and an external GPS antenna and I think it was 500W RMS 4000W PP it seems real nice so far. I got it for $622.00. I am still learning to use all the functions.

Gene

I just checked it is now 646 @ http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... 740&page=2

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered this unit and they are shipping it overnight. I hope to get it on the boat for the Lake Trout derby on Seneca this weekend. I also bellied up for the Cannon S-n-T....Expensive weekend!

My 525c DF came Friday afternoon (just in time to get it installed for the Derby. from a guy that had been using a $150 Wal-mart special, this is amazing! It came pre-loaded with a map that helped me a lot on Seneca (there's a lot of shelves and I have a lot to lose with my S-n-T probe on the cable). Also, when fishing an area where you don't care to see the GPS, I like the split frequency screen. Shows my balls on the 50 khz side and the definition on the 200 khz side. The features are endless on this unit...I'm still learning, but I like the customizable digital display on side while viewing sonar as well. I had all my GPS info without the map like my speed, heading, waypoint reference, and surface temp. Did i mention this unit is awesome! Definatley happy with my purchase. I have it right behind my steering wheel, If you are mounting this unit a ways away, you may want to consider stepping up to the LCX27. It's basically the same unit with a bigger screen(7") and twice the power (8000 watts) for $300 more.

Zeb glad you like it I am getting used to mine and starting to like it more and more. Don't forget to get your free map chip it will enhance the map you have now. I ordered the fishing hot spots east chip all you have to do is go to the Lowrance site and print the free map chip rebate and follow the directions.