dashboard eletronic installation

Looking at mounting depthfinder (HDS unit) as in dash.   Looking for some type of material

to put on dash to mount to and to make it look nice.   Something like a vinyl, but not too

thick.   Any suggestions?

Azek could work.   That is what I used when installing the control head for my autopilot so I didn't have to drill a 4in hole in the dash with a hole saw.  You could also use Starboard.  Both are composite material and won't rot or fade in the sun.

20140516_221932_zps5de044cb.jpg[/url]

20140519_161451_zpse5f82dad.jpg[/url]

I had to double up on it in order to keep the wire routing hole behind the control head as small as possible.  Instead of needing to use a 4in hole saw I only had to drill a hole 1/2in hole with a spade bit.  It makes the control head stick up a little higher than my gauges.  But it looks nice and will last forever.

Edited by jigstick

post-141141-0-98556000-1433600422_thumb.jpgDid my dashboard with plastic material so my electronics were flush mounted.  Looked for starboard but found a cut piece of food grade plastic for $40.  If I would have had to buy a full sheet of material would have been pricey.  Luckily I had access to CNC equipment so I got dash and a blank cutout for a template done.  Template will come in handy if I ever change electronics in future.  Also wired so I can remove dash and electronics for winter storage.  Really makes a clean install.