Finally..Erie Bound

Sluggo / NY

During the southtowns tourney when many struggled and blamed it on cold temps, we did exceptionally well with limit catches out of Dunkirk. Our probe was the key to our success. It allowed us to see that the temp on the bottom in 65 ft was 50 to 52 degrees were as the surface temp was in the high 50's. We then slowed the boat down to 1.2 mph on the down speed and dragged bottom. conventional wisdom would tell you to fish in the top 20 ft this time of year, which we did and caught very few fish. On Erie when there is little to no thermocline setup or after the lake flips dragging bottom inside 70ft off structure is always a good bet. Like Jigstix said once water temps increase and a thermocline setups the fish

Will congregate and feed suspended, but they have to eat when the water is cold also. It is also my opinion our local fish non migratory are much more bottom oriented. I also believe that the temps were Jigstix has a better hookup rates is due partially to migratory fish from the west. Either way knowing the temp and down speed is highly beneficial for Erie eyes. For example if I had 65 degree surface temp and 47 degree down 30ft in 80ft, I would run 80 percent of my lines in the top 25 ft. Just my opion can't wait till the wind stops blowing.

As all predatory fish, Walleye will feed where the food is.  Perch, gobies, smelt, Jonny Darters, Sculpin, Mudpuppies are plastered to the bottom.  Always good to have at least one line down there.

We found fish at a pretty consistent depth, from well east to well west of the harbor, as well as in front. A few feet deeper or shallower, and they were off the screen. We ended up with 6 eye's from 4 - 8 lbs. but worked from 6:30 - 3:30 to do so. I think the catch rates were dependent on if you were lucky enough to have a walleye beat the silvers to the lure, cause we sure weeded through a bunch of them. We did 4 on renosky's and 2 on harnesses, same colors everyone else was pulling.