4 blade vs. 3 blade prop.

I run a 200hp. Johnson with a 3 blade aluminum prop. I installed a whale tail to improve hole shot and steering torque. The tail works well, however lost about 10 mph.

I was thinking about buying a 4 blade and removing the whale tail since the 4 blade is supposed to reduce steering torque and improve hole shot.

Does anyone have any feedback on performance after doing this?

I went from a 3 blade on a Thompson 4.3 IO the 4 blade picked up 7 mph and I could hold the boat on plane at 3000 rpm .Don't have to use my trim tabs anymore. Great improvement for me on my rig anyways but they are all different.

Edited by bigblue

Well this is a field I have plenty of experience. First off changing from a 3 blade to a 4 blade will not get you more speed. 4 blades were designed for the hole shot and control while sacrificing some top end. The 3 blade is a bit less control but more top end. I have 2 Evinrude E tec's and played with props to get them dialed in with speed versus rpm's. This is gonna be based on diameter of the prop, pitch and how much cup is in each blade. I only run stainless props cause they don't flex like aluminum so you will get a true gauge as to what your motor can handle. With my Evinrude's I also run 2 Mercury Props in a 19pitch which gives me the best top end, control and keeps my rpm's right at the comfort level of the motors. My boat will run 48 mph fully loaded with 4 people and the boat is 25'. I would try a stainless prop and see what the manufacturer recommends or ask a prop shop what they would start with. I went through 3 sets before getting them dialed in.

Well this is a field I have plenty of experience. First off changing from a 3 blade to a 4 blade will not get you more speed. 4 blades were designed for the hole shot and control while sacrificing some top end. The 3 blade is a bit less control but more top end. I have 2 Evinrude E tec's and played with props to get them dialed in with speed versus rpm's. This is gonna be based on diameter of the prop, pitch and how much cup is in each blade. I only run stainless props cause they don't flex like aluminum so you will get a true gauge as to what your motor can handle. With my Evinrude's I also run 2 Mercury Props in a 19pitch which gives me the best top end, control and keeps my rpm's right at the comfort level of the motors. My boat will run 48 mph fully loaded with 4 people and the boat is 25'. I would try a stainless prop and see what the manufacturer recommends or ask a prop shop what they would start with. I went through 3 sets before getting them dialed in.

What he said

The 4 blade I used was made by Turning point it's the Hustler model is compressed aluminum with a stainless profile . I talked to several owners and everyone said they got a speed increase and better control. There is no magic prop out there lots of variables involved

I put a 4 blade aluminum on my 221 islander with the 4.3l in it. I noticed that I could get on plane and more importantly stay there at a lower rpm however I then installed a stingray foil and that made the most difference as far as getting on plane particularly with a load in the back and stay on plane at s much lower rpm. It made more of a difference than switching to the 4 blade prop did fore sure

I'd like to rebut your statement, I've got a 2009 150 HO on my Lund Pro V Se and I changed from a 3 blade to a 4 blade. I gain both speed and hole shot. Having gone from a 21" 3 blade Ballistic to a 4 blade OMC renegade I couldn't be happier.  

It's ok to rebut my statement but it's just a fact of my situation being I have experience not only with my current boat but every boat I have owned and my father owning a 42' Fountain which he raced so props have been a thing I have dealt with. In my experience with the 4 blade is that one the blades are smaller than a 3 blade which means they cut the water faster and raise your rpm's. I can run a Mercury, Yamaha and an OMC prop all in the same pitch and diameter and have different results in all of them. But when you go from an aluminum prop to stainless is where you see the biggest difference cause stainless doesn't give or flex like aluminum does. Maybe it's the motors I have run 4 blades on, they just gave my experience something different. I know on my bass boat with a 250 Yamaha HPDI when I put a 4 blade on I lost 12 mph but gained a snapping hole shot and so did my buddy with his Mercury. Now with my 3 blade I can run almost 80 mph flat out but get really squirrelly and start chime walking due to the grab and trimming out. The 4 blade I run 68-70 and do t chime walk at all plus it was good in rough water cause it wouldn't cavitate. The port holes on stainless props make a difference as well. Some boats need all jokes plugged and other will blow the plugs out. I guess it's the way some boats are designed. My dad runs custom Michigan Speed props in 4 blade and gets up to 90mph. Maybe there are other factors I am no expert but just have some experience that's why I. My original post I said to calm a prop shop and they will guide you for what's right for your motor.

I agree that everyone I have ever talked to say 4 blade props you will lose some top end if you think about it your putting more drag itself spinning 4 blades. I wonder if you experienced more speed cause your original prop pitch was way off of where it should have been?