Do you mean use just the rod and use a different reel, when you said can I use my DR rods to troll for eyes using planer boards. I use 4 of my DR. rods to run lead cores off the big boards

I tried using a couple of my heavy rods with 30 lb mono to hook up to my church inline(walleye and tx-22) boards.  I didn't like how the heavy line sagged and bowed when i was trolling into the wind at all.  It was even worse in a cross wind.  The heavy line acted like a sail and pulled the board downwind, and eventually into the prop wash, or too close to another board.  If you limit the heavy line to your inner boards only, it is not as bad...just a pain to have to always check it, and save it to last when setting up for your next pass.

I would say the rods themselves would probably work, though not ideal.  I wouldn't recommend using the same reel/line set up.  

Matt

I use my Okuma Pro GLT 8.5 ft medium heavy for both and they work great! Plenty of bend and tip action for both and the triangle grip makes it very comfortable when you have to reel in those eyes that are way back behind the boat. I just leader down with my floro and makes them longer also as Walleye are much more finicky.

Edited by JakeyBaby

Can I use my Salmon downrigger trolling rods for trolling for Walleye with planers boards

I use my rods for every species. 30lb mono on riggers and also troll for eyes with boards. Same with 30lb braid on dipsys and use for boards also. I don't use leaders either and catch just fine.

As far as boards go I run offshore's and just switched all my front releases out with Sam's Pro Releases. They are absolutely awsome. They release just like a blacks downrigger would. They are fully adjustable so even a light Walleye bite will release the board like they are interested to do. Line size or style does not matter either with them. And make the long drag in much easier with no resistance of the board fight against you. Also much less tangles occur since they pop so easily.

Edited by JakeyBaby

I use my Okuma Pro GLT 8.5 ft medium heavy for both and they work great! Plenty of bend and tip action for both and the triangle grip makes it very comfortable when you have to reel in those eyes that are way back behind the boat. I just leader down with my floro and makes them longer also as Walleye are much more finicky.

These are what I use, they pull double duty on my boat salmon/walleye. Only downside is you don't fight the fish as much, but the only time I have lost a fish is when fighting it for too long. I also use these with big boards or inline planers.

I mostly pull double duty with the Okuma Classic Pro 8'6", medium weight. Good backbone, with some flexibility up top for good shock absorption.

Sorry I misread the earlier post. I too use the medium, not the medium heavy.

People that say walleye are no fun to catch aren't catching big ones that's for sure. A walleye is no king obviously but catch a 12 lb eye in August and tell me it's not fun and that they don't fight.

I like to catch them on a medium weight 7' spinning rod that makes for a good fight. I have caught them on an ultra lite but not purposely.
Edited by Chas0218