Would you by a used charter boat?

HBC

Just throwing this question out to the group who have had experience in larger fiberglass boats or charter experience.  Would you buy an ex charter boat that was used for 5 years exclusively as a charter boat?  Fresh water use only.  Other than stating the obvious (get a survey done, how many hours, proof of maintenance records), what is your opinion on this.  Is it worth it because the price is right or are you setting yourself up for excessive future costs due to the hours put on these boats.

It has been stated that 5 years of charter use = lifetime use of a privately owned boat.  Fixes on charter boats (not all) are often hurried or not the best to keep the boat on the water as much as possible. 

Which styles would you stay away from with regards to power.  Stay away from I/O's, screw drives, certain motor manufacturers?

You will learn a lot about the boat by checking the attitude of the captain. For the past 2 years we had a charter boat in the dock next to ours that looked like something the cat dragged home and so did the captain. A few docks down there are three charter boats in a row that all have close to twenty years of heavy use on them. but the captains spend a lot of time taking care of their "babies" and they are rigs to be proud of.

Edited by rolmops

(

It depends if the guys did 90 trips a year or 10. I do Charters too, but I also have a full time job and don't use my boat anymore than I would if I didn't do Charters.

90 or more.  Any concerns with power and drive?  Is a transmission another concern?

You will learn a lot about the boat by checking the attitude of the captain. For the past 2 years we had a charter boat in the dock next to ours that looked like something the cat dragged home and so did the captain. A few docks down there are three charter boats in a row that all have close to twenty years of heavy use on them. but the captains spend a lot of time taking care of their "babies" and they are rigs to be proud of.

This post is accurate. If you are looking at a HULL by a quality boat builder then it's not a problem. I've had friends recently looking at boats and the ones that are lightly used often have problems of their own. Power plants are going to wear out--that's just a fact. I/O's are known to be high maintenance, straight inboards less of a concern. On the inboards Borg Warner has stood the test of time. Constantly monitor fluid levels is the best advice. A guy whose on his boat daily is going to know every squeak or tick. History has shown boat owners who have lost interest and moved on to other things often are negligent. This can be far more costly than consistent use.

Id rather buy from someone who depends on their boat and uses it regularly. They have to maintain their boats or they are outta business. Most boats i see sit in a slip and dont move much or sit in someones yard and again dont move much and i dont want a boat that has sat...

I wouldnt fear the boat but instead fear the boat owner. A boat is only as good as its owner. Theres good ones and theres bad ones. Bring another set of qualified eyes to look at the boat. Your mechanic would be a great choice and ALWAYS invest in a survey.

I wouldnt fear the boat but instead fear the boat owner. A boat is only as good as its owner. Theres good ones and theres bad ones. Bring another set of qualified eyes to look at the boat. Your mechanic would be a great choice and ALWAYS invest in a survey.

Don't ALWAYS trust a survey make sure a reputable surveyor does the job!

Thanks for the replies.  I agree about the boat owner comments as well but if you don't know the previous owner, all you can go with is the survey. 

What about hours of use?  Is a rebuild required on a BW transmission after 1300 hours or are regular PM's good enough?  Motors are cheap so I'm not concerned with that.

Edited by hairybumcrack

HBC I've had more than one set of Borg Warners go 7000+ hrs before needing an overhaul.  Once they slip and burn its over so fluid level and cooler condition is huge. Like everyone said here, 1300 hrs isn't a concern but what the owner may have done is. If it was run low on fluid or shifted at high RPMs then it could go the next time its used.