Sale of FIsh

Perch perch perch.... how about the glamour fish carp and bullheads. all up and down the st. Lawrence in the spring they have bullhead dinners at the fire stations and other fundraisers

like chicken barbecues in other places. I remember as a child my grandfather used to go to Montezuma and take carp down to Binghamton and sell him to the Jewish people for kifelda .I haven't noticed an uproar about that. If I hadn't had Chaumont bay for help a few years ago I would have been picking cans or on assistance.If you actually think hook and line fishing is a detriment to the population I sympathize for you. I think that it's ludicrous to get more laws passed over fish or game..Almost need a lawyer on retainer now to keep up with all the laws

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

This post is exactly what I'm talking about..this is an honest man, who's got pride enough to get cans before his state welfare check, I've been there, I've chosen pride too. Go ahead and rob us us of another avenue, but don't ever complain about nys taxes or entitlement or corruption again in your life if you wish to erase this avenue. 

Wow King, your pretty dead set on your view point, I get that, and no one is going to change it, I also get that but let me be brutally honest your borderline though of crossing that gentle mans line of calling BS. Making up stories isn't in my wheelhouse so tread lightly.

Wow King, your pretty dead set on your view point, I get that, and no one is going to change it, I also get that but let me be brutally honest your borderline though of crossing that gentle mans line of calling BS. Making up stories isn't in my wheelhouse so tread lightly.

You tread lightly with your pirate stories of 200 lb catches. Sk8man's logic of public resources remaining public resources while in one's possession is the side you are on. Get a grip. 

This is all just the silent beat down of a man's pride to make a living, a collective effort to rob jobs, crush quality of food in restaurants, and get the next generation to join your sorority. You are winning, no doubt. Keep on beating us up with emotional knee jerk laws with zero scientific backing. Hopefully some of those high school kids read this thread and get their first education. Their first stimulus to question bullcrap and have a filter for it.     

I guess I was addressing you then sorry about the mixup :lol:

I was referring to some of the commentary that sounds quite extreme given the nature of the topic (i.e. selling perch not some communist conspiracy or governmental takeover of your whole life) and a bit paranoid as well. We are talking about some school kids doing research and making some responsible comments and soliciting help with what they, their teacher, and I as well see as a problem. I fully expected that this topic would ruffle some feathers especially when there may be folks who are personally profiting from the sale of perch but hopefully it will stay in bounds of polite discussion rather than emotional rants.

Edited by Sk8man

Damn, sorry bud I didn't realize your up in North Country, where perch are considered J9 rapalas..... We could of avoided all of this confusion. See down here in fairy tale land averaging 1lb perch on a better than average day Is not uncommon if your in the gold, but hey what the heck, I'm making it all up right? Oh yea, and only one mans limit, could you imagine if there were two of us, me and you?

I guess I was addressing you then sorry about the mixup :lol:

I was referring to some of the commentary that sounds quite extreme given the nature of the topic (i.e. selling perch not some communist conspiracy or governmental takeover of your whole life) and a bit paranoid as well. We are talking about some school kids doing research and making some responsible comments and soliciting help with what they, their teacher, and I as well see as a problem. I fully expected that this topic would ruffle some feathers especially when there may be folks who are personally profiting from the sale of perch but hopefully it will stay in bounds of polite discussion rather than emotional rants.

The nature of the topic is outlawing a way of life for many people, that is your extreme premise. The IRS already owns you and me, lets not jest. That occurred in 1913 with the Federal Reserve Act. Your problem is emotional, not ecological. 

Damn, sorry bud I didn't realize your up in North Country, where perch are considered J9 rapalas..... We could of avoided all of this confusion. See down here in fairy tale land averaging 1lb perch on a better than average day Is not uncommon if your in the gold, but hey what the heck, I'm making it all up right? Oh yea, and only one mans limit, could you imagine if there were two of us, me and you?

You can't sell j-9 sized perch here try again, nobody would buy them...lake erie is an entirely different fishery. 

Here's the kicker. You want to turn perch into the equivalency of deer ownership. Why would you? Something you cannot sell, but own, but not really because you cannot sell them. Why not? Why can't you sell your deer? It's yours right?  No, apparently,it's still state owned in your freezer. So obviously, if you hit a deer with your car the state should own up and pay for the damages right? It's theirs right? Nope, the state is in cahoots with big insurance to extract money from your pocket as a hidden tax. Crony capitalism. You can be searched by DEC with zero probable cause if you look like a deer hunter. The NYSDEC can invade your privacy whenever you fart a wildgame aroma. Wake up.       

I see both sides still. Waiting for an answer... Whether my license is obtained legally to charter or Joe smoes licenses were obtained legally, why can't he sell them? I pay for bottles water? I pay for city water? I pay for natural gas? I'm trying to see both sides here. Honestly. As an outsider looking in, the decline in perch, isn't it possible for one moment, that zebras, quagas or even gobies can be to blame as well over the past fifty years? I just want documented facts... Not opinions.. Sorry. I just wanna see the picture as a whole..

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I see both sides still. Waiting for an answer... Whether my license is obtained legally to charter or Joe smoes licenses were obtained legally, why can't he sell them? I pay for bottles water? I pay for city water? I pay for natural gas? I'm trying to see both sides here. Honestly. As an outsider looking in, the decline in perch, isn't it possible for one moment, that zebras, quagas or even gobies can be to blame as well over the past fifty years? I just want documented facts... Not opinions.. Sorry. I just wanna see the picture as a whole..

That's the point, there is no scientific evidence of perch declines due to hook and line angling. I dont have the cash or force to make these guys sit in front of a psychiatrist and cry out their symptoms that lead to these conclusions. What you say is likely, the environment is changing due to food webs being more dynamic, but I will also add, humans are more impatient and wish for instant success and find easy blame rather than hard work that takes lots of time.     

I mean we had tough Fishing for trolling this past year, I blamed the weather and potential lack of fish. Both were an answer, especially when DEC stated in person that they felt there had been a lack of forage for trout the past 7 years, with that said, they reduced stocking efforts significantly. Unfortunately bait sampling was only done on the north end. This past fall 30k Lakers were introduced, this spring another 25k I believe, along with bows, salmon and browns.... Changes take time...

Perch, I have no clue on, i recently learned how to target them. Even with that said, it's by luck.

Nick I think the difference is that you as a charter are providing a public service as well as being a private enterprise. The trout and salmon are  stocked and are renewable in that manner. Your clientele spend money in the area when they employ your services and they contribute to the local economy bringing in money  in that way. You as a charter captain are under tighter controls than sport fishermen in terms of over harvesting and taking above your allotted limits and in a a large sense held to a higher standard because if you don't adhere to the regs you risk your reputation as well as your livelihood. There are no such constraints on sport fishermen or specifically perch fishermen (some joke about being considered "pirates" for that matter). It also boils down to enforcement of existing regulations relating to over harvesting of perch and there is a very prominent problem with that especially when some of the folks live right on the lakes you aren't able to catch them for observation at the launches. Why shouldn't the perch be under the same protection against selling as the gamefish?  We don't have limits of 50 fish for any of the gamefish species. Th environmental aspects relating to this situation are complex and poorly understood by even the DEC because the dynamics are ever changing especially with the additions of new invasives etc.so it will largely be in the area of opinion even by the scientists when looking at the impact on multiple species let alone a single one.  I think we all would like to see the picture as a whole with solid facts from which concrete decisions could be made but it doesn't appear to be happening thus far so it is natural that comparisons are being made with things experienced over time  and opinions given in response to it.

Edited by Sk8man

There is no public service in providing fresh fish to restaurants sk8Man? you are scrapping the barrel. 

Each individual is a private enterprise when in business for them self, get a grip.

Bull crap, there are no tighter controls concerning limits for sport fisherman or charters, you are a bullcrap artist.

Let us all know when you have solidified science, peer reviewed reports that state hook and line selling of fish is the problem, otherwise stop blowing smoke up our butts. 

Lets let folks make up their own minds about who is the BS artist....it should be pretty clear by now You're pizzed because someone isn't being intimidated by your tactics and "threatening" your little money making scheme.

Lets let folks make up their own minds about who is the BS artist....it should be pretty clear by now You're pizzed because someone isn't being intimidated by your tactics and "threatening" your little money making scheme.

Where's the "Like Button"? This goes back to my favorite quote -"For every difficult problem, there's an answer that is simple, neat and WRONG".

Never underestimate the appeal of simple solutions.......never overestimate their efficacy.

Yes, the state is wonderful at simplifying matters, bravo. Safe act, common core, subsidies galore, Real simple. Or catch a perch, sell a perch, with the option of eating it yourself. Hmmm

Just wondering about the sale part I some what understand where Kingfisher06 is coming from ....

How does the selling work?

Do the buyer have rules to follow ?

I haven't sold a perch in nearly decade, but use to have good discussions with the buyer down in Chaumont, Harvey. I don't think Harvey still buys, but has been replaced in Chaumont. The selling is easy. The buyer sets the rules based upon his margins, the supply and what his wholesaler is demanding from what I can remember. I would bring him a pail of fish, usually 7-9" were one price and you'd get more for 9"+ fish. The fish were sold whole and he'd pack them in totes from what I can remember. He did have a descaler in the shop but I rarely saw it used. Most of what he sold was just as he bought it and then shipped to someone else for process and distribution. HIs wife, who was an artist with a filet knife, would filet a lot for local restaurant sale, but that was a small percentage I'm sure. Now the rules for the buyer, not sure, but it all seemed laissaz faire from my perspective. I'm sure the regs are similar to what restaurants must abide by, you know, storage temps, etc...