NYSDEC- DEER HARVEST SUMMARY 2015

Legacy

It was a tough year due to the warm weather. Most everyone I talked to were not seeing deer. My son and I managed to bag 8 deer. He harvested a beauty 7 point and two small does. I harvested a 9 point, a 10 point, two mature does, and a 2.5 yr old doe for my father in laws freezer. We filmed and passed on numerous small bucks and doe groups once the rut kicked in. I found that stands right on top of bedding were the ticket, as daytime movement was only the last few minutes or first few minutes of light. I had some real bruisers inside of 20 yards but was too dark to shoot. As always, calling, and scent was key to buck harvest.

It's certainly a changing world out there. It's also easy to misinterpret (or over-interpret) the data. While my guess is that most folks will see the reduced take as validation of their individual experiences in the woods...lots of stories about guys who didn't see much...I think that it also highlights the changing environment in which we hunt. Increased leasing. less access to land and more pressure on public land, food plots creating have-and-have-not scenarios. It's not as simple as a snapshot of how many deer are running around. And of course weather, like KS mentions above.

Frankly, I'm concerned about hunting in general in NYS and I think that access is the biggest issue. I've leased land for years and bought land last year, but I've also knocked on more doors than I can count with little to show for it. It's tough out there. And I think that it's getting worse.

Or maybe that's just me getting old:  :rofl:  or  ;(, cause it's true.

So I don't know how to take this. I think it speaks volumes for when DEC tried to shove the anterless only zone down hunters throats. At least in 8F where I hunt, there were a lot of pissed off people about that.

The first picture still sucks, too bad more people won't pass those little guys.

post-149865-0-96071600-1460981786_thumb.jpg

post-149865-0-96755700-1460982079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

A lot had to do with the areas where it was "doe" only for the first 2 weeks and all of blackpowder. Huge number of hunters just stayed home .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So Chas, this is showing that less does were taken in 8F? Most of the state had a decrease in does harvested. To me this doesn't seem like it did any good at all. I'm not totally against the 2 week waiting period because most of the time it's warm in the beginning and the deer aren't all that active, but that one time when a mounter walks by that first week I'll be pissed lol.

So Chas, this is showing that less does were taken in 8F? Most of the state had a decrease in does harvested. To me this doesn't seem like it did any good at all. I'm not totally against the 2 week waiting period because most of the time it's warm in the beginning and the deer aren't all that active, but that one time when a mounter walks by that first week I'll be pissed lol.

I agree it didnt make a difference. I didn't hunt the first 2 weeks for that reason.

I agree as well with the 1st 2 weeks, but the whole blackpowder season - c'mon! That's my favorite time of the year outside of the rutt and we see and shoot almost as many deer during that last week than we do.yhe entire season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app