Leadcore Walleye Rigs

Before I'm yelled yes...yes I did see the current leadcore thread going on. 

I have the basic understanding down of how leadcore works. 

I'm looking to run either 5 or 7 color leadcore.  My problem with my current wire dipsys and downrigger setup is getting my spread to run shallow during the early season, while maintaining space between the 6 rods.

So I'm looking to run stick baits and spoons off the leadcore about 25-30ft down.  I think 5 or 7 color is correct? 

My main question is...will running 5-7 color leadcore sink the OffShore and Church INLINE planer boards that I currently use with deep diving REEF Runners.

If you have the Walleye version of the boards you should be OK with 6 or 7 colors running "normal" stuff but the Runners I'd go with 5 colors

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not sure which version of the Church boards I have.  They aren't the massive ones.  They are the same size as my OffShore boards.  The OffShore boards only come in one size if I remember correctly.  I only plan on running spoons, stick baits, and worm harnesses off the leadcore.

King Slammin nailed it, I run 10 colors off the TX22 with absolutely no problem. My favorite leadcore setup on Erie is a 5 color then a few ounces of snap weights about 25' in front of the core on the backer. I usually run 4 ounces and it works awesome. I don't have to run all the long cores when fish are deep. Today I fished the bar and ran a 5 color on a modified tx22 board. Check out Anglers Avenue setup for the small boards. Basically it is a small OR pinch release on the backer instead of the pin and a different style release. It worked great, when a fish is on it or I want to bring it in its just a snap of the rod to pop release and the pinch pad holds the board on the line. The board flips around backwards and you don't have to fight the board, it just drags in and you pop it off when it gets to the boat. Can't wait to try this on Erie.

Church boards will pull 10 color leadcore. Offshore boards don't allow for weight to be adjusted forward & the board will tip & ride nose up with 10 colors with reef runner deep divers!

OK a few things.    1.  Off Shore has three different size boards.   The most common is the OR12.     they also have a mini and a larger board that is the size of a tx 44.     I have to ask a question on why you would want to run deep diving reefys with leadcore.  if your goal is to get 25-30 feet down then use either or.   Use leadcore with reef runner 600's that don't have a diving lip or use mono or braid with a deep diving reefy .  If you are trying to reach a specific target depth for example 25-30 ft in my opinion the worse thing you can do is start mixing diving baits with weighted lines.    

Like I said prior, I will only be running stick baits, spoons, and worm harnesses off of the lead core. By stick baits I mean Renosky and Bayrats and thundersticks.

My current shallow setup tha I'm using is the middle sized OffShore boards and deep diving reef runners and tail dancers. I'm looking to move away from this. And use the leadcore setups I mentioned above.

Edited by jigstick

i was just going by what you said above. 

"My main question is...will running 5-7 color leadcore sink the OffShore and Church INLINE planer boards that I currently use with deep diving REEF Runners."

Oh I see how the mix up happened. No. No deep divers off the leadcore.

So will I be ok with the Middle sized boards and 5 or 7 color? Even those deep divers made my offshore and church boards ride nose up

Edited by jigstick

To my knowledge the only way you can by a specific 3-5 or others if you buy the whole deal reel and line set-ups from a shop that deals with that kind of thing. Custom reels and poles ect. Otherwise like mentioned earlier buy 2 10 colors and make what you want

Just buy the ten color spools and split them, its super easy. Cut them to length and tie them with either a willis knot or small inline swivels that will fit through onto your reel.  Also, with the Offshore boards you can cut the weight in half and place both section in the front  portion of the board and it will help alleviate  the "nose up" riding tendency.