New Member SMB/LMB & Musky Fisherman

Kaptag

New Member SMB/LMB & Musky Fisherman

Hello to everyone on the board.  I live just north of Syracuse about 1 mile from the Oneida Lake Boat Launch at Oneida Shores (Brewerton).  I have a new boat on order.  Took me 36years to get to this point but I recently put in an order for a Bass Tracker PT195 with a Mercury 150 on the back end and a Minn Kota Fortrex 80lb thrust on the front end.  I looked at the Fiberglass boats (Z18) but they are just too expensive for my budget and besides I like fishing in the Susquehanna River for Muskies.  This will probably be my last boat as I'm hoping to retire in 5 or 6 years and I don't want a boat payment on a fixed income.  I like my mod V boats but I sure would like to have a kicker on the backend to save that 150 - Anyone with any ideas on that let me know.

I only have one other fishing buddy and his time is being taken up by his 15yo son so I joined this board hoping to find some like minded fisherman especially since this seems to be the hang out for the NY MI 69.  In addition to the Susky Musky, I have fished the St. Lawrence (Maseena),  the Rideau River and the Ottawa River.  I've landed fish in the Rideau but no luck in the St. Lawrence and Ottawa.  Oh, and yes I've caught Susky Muskies!    I have a camp in Westport, ON (Canada) on Sand/Westport Lake.  It's decent LMB & SMB fishing but no Muskies.  

I hope to join the NY MI 69 and perhaps strike up some friendships and possibly someone to go fishing with.  That's it in a nutshell.  

Susquehanna Muskie 026.JPG

Welcome Kaptag. Yes, quite a few of our MI Chapter 69 members use this board as well as a huge number of anglers throughout the state. We have our meetings every other month on the third Monday at 7PM at the Henrietta Moose Lodge

The next meeting is March 20th.

We have members scattered throughout the state. Some are even near you. We have a tournament on Otisco Lake in May for tiger muskies which is the closest event to you.

Welcome aboard! You might want to consider a trolling motor that you can troll with as well as cast from the front. Might make it possible to skip the kicker. I use a 36v terrova to troll and I know many other guys doing the same. Also gives you auto pilot. The new ultrex is a fortrex but has the I pilot link. If you ever make it to Otisco I'd be happy to help you out. I live on the susky as well.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Thank you all for your warm welcome!  I really appreciate it!  I will try to make the March 20th meeting.  My boat hasn't been delivered yet.  I will call them this morning and get a price on switching to a 36v TM.  Not sure if there is room for a 3rd battery which may present as a problem for me.  The other issue is how much $ it will cost to upgrade to the ultrex.  With any luck I will meet some of you on Otisco Lake in May.  It's less than an hour to Otisco from my house so I hope to be there.  

I called the dealer and they are going to work up a price for me for the new Ultrex (Gulp).  He also told me with this new 4 stroke it's not a problem to troll with the big motor as it's a 4 stroke, very lean burning and I don't have to worry about the plugs loading up.  The other issue is if the 150 can get me down to the 1.1 to 1.5 mph trolling speeds.  I think the 80lb thrust would troll the boat easily  at 1.1 to 1.5 and I could possibly use the big motor for the 3 to 7 mph trolling speeds.  I'm already at the top my spending limit so I may have a compromise and go with what I've already ordered but maybe he'll come back with an offer I can't refuse.  

The ultrex will push your boat 2 mph very easily unless you are into much wind. I use both motors simultaneously alot as well. The 24 volt will also work fine. I used a 24v terrova for 5 years before I upgraded to the 36v. The auto pilot is awesome and I think you would get good use of the spot lock gps anchor as well. My boat is a bit too big and catches too much wind for the spot lock to work well for me unless it's fairly calm, but it will be great on your boat. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Justin, Thanks for the advice on the TM.  I checked with the dealer and there isn't any room in the mechanicals compartment for a 4th battery so I would have to sacrifice some of my storage for the additional battery.  That combined with the additional cost of the 36 volt system was prohibitive.  I did change from the Fortrex 80lb to the Terrova 80lb with I-Pilot.  I think you are right and that I will probably use the I-Pilot features a lot.