Dipsy,flasher fly set up?

Diesel, Tom is correct that there are times when a longer lead behind the diver has turned the trick. Not to say that slide divers can't be incorporated, but not to many years ago one hot setup was using dipseys with 10-12 leads behind the diver. This takes a little experience, in that the fish must be more or less spent where as once the diver hits the rod tip,the person at the rod moves forward and then it then can be hand lined in. Thus netting the target if an extended handle is not in use. I never wrap the line just pulling the mono in a few smooth motions. It can be done, but should be used with caution however-

A team in Michigan used 30' leads behind a Dispey to win a tourney a few weeks back. They didnt feel they could achieve the depths with a Slide diver, so I was told. They would hand line in the fish (remember these fish typically are smaller) to the net. once the diver hit the tip of the rod.

I use the longest lead I can get away with for netting purposes. The shorter your lead behind the diver the less whip your flasher will have.

i typically use about an 8' leader between the dipsey and the spoon or flasher. it seems to be a very comfortable length and doesnt interfere with netting (on my boat).