Check your leaf springs lol

It's not just old trailers, either. I had the springs go bad last year on one side of a Phoenix trailer that was less than five years old. I had it built specifically for my Lund, and because of the tight specs, there was very little clearance between the trailer frame, wheel well and tire itself. When one of the leaf springs started to inexplicably sag, I had it replaced immediately prior to an incident like above. No cracks, no reason why it would fail, but it was definitely losing its holding capacity...something else to watch for.

Worst part is he thought it was broke at a light, got up to 60 and everything came loose... Boat will still float... He has been using fiber glass to patch aluminum Lol. So I guess just stick some more fiber glass where the dent is and go fishing...

I can't seem to go... Got out that morning, got lines setup, get the phone call for this... Haul in the lines, go load it up... Get back around 4:30. Eat dinner, try to find some one to drive while I setup lines, couldn't find a replacement... So run down and try to run two lines... Get the boat off, go to turn the motor over... Battery is dead... I guess I'm not meant to go fishing... Ever

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Leaf springs are a tough one.. they can look fabulous, clean tight and strong, and snap at any time leaving you  in the middle of nowhere with a mess, or they can look rusty and shot to hell and be good to go forever..  I typically oil and grease mine, to try and keep the rust down, try my best to keep rust  and wear  to a minimum, but I too have had them break en route, and yes, it SUCKS!.. bob

Who knows what caused this accident here. It could be an overloaded trailer. I see a lot of undersized trailers on the road today. Boat dealers sell undersized trailers all the time to help keep the cost down. Buying an undersized trailer is the worst thing you can put under your boat. You are looking for trouble. Be leave me I see a lot of them on the road today. I oversize my trailer one thousand pounds. First thing you must know. The weight of you boat when its empty. Then the weight of your motor and kicker if you use one. Add the weight of your gas with a full tank and all your gear for the boat. If your trailer is rated for 3 thousand pounds and you boat load is close to this number. Your trailer will handle this load for a few years. But over time your trailer will began to weaken a little. One way to look for trailer problems. Look at your tires. If they show abnormal ware on them. This is a warning. Most boaters over look this. Its an accident waiting to happen. Spend the extra dollars for an over size trailer. Your money ahead. I don’t think broken springs caused this accident. It so easy to spot broken springs. Look on the side of one. You can see them broken. The trailer spring u bolt is the part you must check once a year. If its loose tighten it or replace it. Check the bolt on top of it. Broken u bolts cause broken trailer springs. You have to check them. Go to a truck stop with your boat and get it weighed. You might be a little surprised to see how much weight you are overloaded.