Cayuga help??!!

Trolled this morning from 6 until 10 not a bite.. but new to trolling. Ran 5 rigs four dipsys and a copper up chute Tried 70 to 120 fow running dipsys down 40-60 running 50 lb braid to dipsy followed by a flasher snubber and fly, or a three or four inch spoon with no flasher on a 12 lb fluorocarbon line... flies and spoons variety of chartreuse green blue and purples gps speed of 2.7 to 3. Also tried shallow running 35-40 on lures in 50fow

Location started at south end trolled past Boy Scout camp to near power plant crossed lake came back down a few miles trying shallow till surrendering the morning...

What am I doing wrong ... ???

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Poor man... lol I think I will need a drift sock to get slower have no dodgers will get some going out with John on a guided trip wed hoping he can give me what I'm missing

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Frog color. Ak 47 flt spoon worked well Thursday. 2.2 on gps over 200 to 250. Went 6 for 7. 5 bows 2 Lakers. Dropped one lake at the boat. All but one came on the north troll. Brought speed up to 2.8 on south troll and picked up another bow infront of Dean's. Going out later or tomorrow to test new to me down riggers.

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went out on my first ever solo trip this morning 6-10 am. Launched from long point ran to west side but saw a lot of debris. Ran back over to east side. Set up at 300 fow and made my way into 120 fow. Ran south almost to the power plant. 4 lakers and 2 LL. Nothing to large but keepers. All were catch and release. A lot of debris and weeds in under 100 fow. All spoon bite today.

It is a new setup actually prepping to put it on Lake Ontario next year... no riggers running four dipsys

Can you elaborate on this?

I am fishing Cayuga tomorrow will be fishing long point end hope to report back good news....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lewis863 said:

It is a new setup actually prepping to put it on Lake Ontario next year... no riggers running four dipsys

i don't used down riggers on the finger lake either . i like seth green rods , they cover more water column . then two dipsy on the 3 setting . 

Just now, stoneam2006 said:

I'm gonna have to meet you to see these rigs sometime.

sure , we will have to hook up . i am hooked on kings right now will fish cayuga when the big lake is mean .

Fishing the fl   You take a voltmeter set it on 20v dc.Clip one lead on your downrigger cable with the ball lowered in the water. Clip the other end to the neg. battery terminal . Should read 1v or less. If voltage is high you could be scareing the fish away. This is something to be done anually as you add new equipment change things around etc. When you do this test make sure there are no other boats around as you may pick up a field from a HOT boat.

This is probably a subject for the This old boat section. There is a lot of information on this subject Just google grounding downriggers. You will be amazed at the different things that cause small electric currents.

Years ago I had a trophy boat that was hot . Cleaned the engine ground on the battery and it cleaned it up.

Fishing the fl   You take a voltmeter set it on 20v dc.Clip one lead on your downrigger cable with the ball lowered in the water. Clip the other end to the neg. battery terminal . Should read 1v or less. If voltage is high you could be scareing the fish away. This is something to be done anually as you add new equipment change things around etc. When you do this test make sure there are no other boats around as you may pick up a field from a HOT boat.

This is probably a subject for the This old boat section. There is a lot of information on this subject Just google grounding downriggers. You will be amazed at the different things that cause small electric currents.

Years ago I had a trophy boat that was hot . Cleaned the engine ground on the battery and it cleaned it up.

Thank you will do some research....

Alright thanks for all the input... I ordered a trolling bag to drop my speed and some dodgers to liven up the spoons and I will give it a go when they arrive

We launched from long point this morning and trolled north for a bit then south to AES. We hit alot of fish, landed 15 to 20 lost about the same. Seth green rig with Small black and purple evil eye, and of course always the bottom leader 100 down took a bunch early, Took a lot on gambler type rigs, (I tie my own) towed behind 12" flashers and large silver horde dodger, on the rigger and wire divers. Had flasher flies on the high braid divers which also took a couple. Lost a big salmon or rainbow on the braid diver. Lakers were mostly small but did get a few in the 8lb range. Down speed was around 2.4. Seemed like faster or slower they wouldnt hit. There is a bit of current out there. You may want to invest in a fish hawk. Depending on direction we were going faster or slower on the gps to maintain the 2.4 100' down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you don't have down speed device like a fish hawk, I'd seriously consider investing in one. There's days the gps and down speed vary tremendously. Also, troll in s-curves - if you're picking up fish on outside turn then speed up. If on inside of turn, slow down. I'll also sometimes turn up or slow down the speed quickly when going through or past fish or bait schools - sometimes that entices them to bite. Finally, I don't go heavier than 8lb floro for leaders and use leaders on everything. As clear as the water is here they can see lines pretty easily. Good luck

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sunday trolling north on the west side at 1.5 mph on top was 3.0 at the ball down 45.  Fish hawk is necessary.  Save up for one.  Its worth it.  I'm not even fishing using my sonar.  I'm locking everything between 59 and 55 degrees.  2.3 to 2.7 at the ball.  Cant miss. 

RR

Sunday trolling north on the west side at 1.5 mph on top was 3.0 at the ball down 45.  Fish hawk is necessary.  Save up for one.  Its worth it.  I'm not even fishing using my sonar.  I'm locking everything between 59 and 55 degrees.  2.3 to 2.7 at the ball.  Cant miss. 
RR

I don't disagree might be sooner rather than later other issue is lack of a down rigger to run it on I do have small crank one I can jury rig on to run it though

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app