Coaxial cable length for VHF

Bad Habit

Coaxial cable length for VHF

Does the coaxial cable length for a VHF radio antenna matter for reception? I've research a little and found different answers. My radio is only 4 or 5 feet from the antenna but my cable is the original length that it came with and reception doesn't seem to be very good.

Shorter the better. But a longer length, within reason should be okay. The only to check the cable and antenna performance is with an inline wattmeter. You put it in line, and transmit, and look at forward versus reverse power (Watts). There should be very little reverse power. Let's say 10 watts forward and 0 to 1/4 watt reverse. If this checks good, the radio may have a receiver sensitivity defect. Also, adjusting squelch will affect the reception.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From what I have read over the years, consensus appears to be that looping the excess cable has a detrimental affect on the reception/transmission.

I always shorten the cable to a length where no loop is necessary for the slack cable.

Jay

Edited by JAYRFRED

The quality of the antennae itself is a large factor in transmission and reception....not all them are equal to the job.

Edited by Sk8man