2017 WATERFOWL SEASON

Yesterday I saw a bunch of widgeon go down in a pothole so I decided to try this morning and it turned out pretty good. Had some nice groups of widgeon come in. Ended with 1 teal , 4 widgeon. Lost another widgeon and mallard to the cattails. IMG_20171122_103655.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I got the call from my buddy yesterday that the flooded corn field we hunted last week or so got cut and is loaded up . So I took a drive last night to check and it was .
Got there and broke the hole open a little bit more than what was there. Put out a dozen ducks and 2 goose decoys. And the A frame .
First thing in the morning we had a couple hundred land in the decoys but we gave them a pass .Then it was game on!!! Had fast action for 30 min then we had our limit. 4 blacks , 1 Gadwall, 7 mallards.
IMG_20171123_070522.jpgIMG_20171123_082457.jpg

Yeah buddy the swamp is call for u !!! Can't believe how quiet it's been on here and the swamps this year. Ducks been coming down in good waves and numbers . Has been the best in years so far!!! Good luck hope to see a report!

• 2 weeks later...
Best in years!? Most people I know agree it has been the worst. Up on the St Lawrence and Syracuse area. Glad your having a good year!!!

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks !! Number of birds seen have been low. But the spots I found this year made for the year I had. Giving the spots a rest for a week to load up helped out . I hunted ducks about 18 times and had 3 bad hunts with 3 birds or less. Hope we get some cold weather before the 2nd half

I agree  with longspurs. been a good year. I hunt wayne, ontario,and cayuga counties. Only shot my limit 2 times but none the less had some great hunts saw good amounts of birds considering weather and temps. Hunted 21 days of the possible 40 so far in my zone. I don't measure good hunting by what i kill anymore as i just enjoy being out and knowing the sport is still available. I've been hunting for waterfowl for 32 years and going with myth my dad since i was 4 maybe even younger. As long as there is still a season I will go as much as possible reguardless of how many birds there are. mallards mergansers redheads goldeneyes wood ducks it does not matter to me what i chose to shoot. The limits are set and i eat everything i kill and enjoy the taste of all waterfowl as i spend the time to cook them correctly.The age old arguement on eating certain waterfowl will continue and the same people that use the excuse that merganser have mercury in it also smoke a pack of cancer sticks a day. I've been eating what i shoot for a long time and that sometimes includes mergs. So keep passing them up if you don't eat your doing the right thing. Split season will be a great one as the forecast will have the birds here for 2 weeks with no pressure before we get to hunt them maybe longer as i saw good amounts coming here yesterday. Good luck and be safe we are all brothers and sisters of the sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Did alot of driving today . Geese are taken there sweet azz time, they are hitting the fields at 11 and only feeding 1 time a day. If u plan on hunting geese might as well get some breakfast then go. Lake ducks well that's easy just go and u will find. U must find some water if u want mallards most back waters are all locked up. Our farm pond had about 50 on it and the sulfur pond had about 25 first thing this morning. No sky busting and setting up on the other guy !!! Good luck and be safe!!!!

Froze out!!!!! The spot we had froze over night . We broke ice and put out a couple decoys anyway. We didn't even see a mallard and there was 75 plus yesterday. They pushed out of that spot for sure. Going to try big water tomorrow

Cool thread Longspurs!! Very interesting, I only ever hunted ducks wading upstream in what they call the Pine Swamp with my cousins it was fun in the early season but scary and dangerous in the second season, there are holes that if you weren’t familiar with the stream which is wide and you needed at least 3guys 4 were better then you didn’t have to get out of the water and look for the duck. But we used to rotate so the guys in the water could get out and the others could get nice and cool. You had to wait till the ducks got high enough to clear the high brush along the edge of the stream if you didn’t the ducks fell into the red brush and they either bit fast to sticks far under the water from the red brush or you simply couldn’t find it. So we made a rule if you shot a duck that fell into the brush you lost 2 rounds of hunting from the stream. Congrats to your hunts and sharing them with us :yes: :yes: PAP.

• Like 1

Thanks pap !!
Got a call from our farmer last night that ducks are in the spring hole. It's aways got some open water. So we decided to go there.
There was 200 mallards packed so tight u couldn't get another duck in when we showed up. I kicked them out and they circled for 30 min till shooting light. We have hunted this spot for years now so we know the 1s I kick out on roost will be back around 10 to 1 and try to get done before that , so they all come back to roost. That we did !!! Cold as hell –8 when we got there and 0 at 9 am. Sub 0 smash !!! We had 2 Mr buddy heaters 20lbs tank , 1lb tanks all froze . Heaters didn't work. wtf only bad part was looking at all that propane and 2 heaters that are down. Good bounce back from yesterdays hunt.
IMG_20171227_062118.jpgIMG_20171227_070349.jpgIMG_20171227_100353.jpg

We used the A-frame blind with a new snow cover we got. It worked out good but I got out to get birds and looked back at the Blind and you can see my buddys Silhouette through when the sun is out..... Very poor cover