Updating my electronics

kman05446

Updating my electronics

Going to be updating my electronics next season. Presently I have a Eagle 420 fish finder and a Eagle GPS. Not sure of the model number. Want to go with a combo unit to make room for a fish-hawk. What would you guys recommend? Would like to stay under $800.00 for the combo unit. Would appreciate your advise.

Thanks

Kman

I owned a humming bird for years like 10 never gave me a problem, but it was time to update, I happened to fall into the time Lowrance was coming out with there hdi units. I did all kinds of research which at the time was mostly factory reports and of course they were all good and very persuasive!! So I bought a Elite7 HDI, the most money I ever spent on a single unit period!! I was very very disappointed to say the least. After how many calls to Lowrance with no help from them, I used it the way it was, freeze up shut off on its own would loose contact with satellites, and instructions that weren't worth the paper they were printed on!! As time went on they knew they needed to do something, so they put out free updates you could install and it did improve the units, I like mine now but as time goes on so does technology, today's  units are already behind the eight ball. It would be a toss up between hummingbird and garmin, leaning towards the garmin's side. I fish walleyes, so my interest is DownScan, I want to know what the bottom looks like, if I'm not over a rocky bottom I'm not catching eyes, garmin's DownScan is the best I've seen in a lot of units. Certain units are bases on certain types of fishing. So knowing what you'll be fishing for say 90% of the time will help you choose the unit that suits your needs. Best of luck.

I really love my GO7, but wish I had gotten the GO9 or even the NSS9 so I had a button control while underway. It is fast, accurate, and show's way too many fish that I can't catch. The base maps are also good enough to not need a chip. Never thought I'd use the totalscan transducer, but my buddy lost his anchor in the bay a couple of weeks ago...
20170923_120724.jpg

Once you hit that price level, you will have a ton of options. Check out Furuno.... commercial quality at a reasonable price. My sounder is Furuno and I couldn't be happier with it.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Furuno-Gp1870f-7-Color-Gps-Chartplotter-Fishfind-p/furgp1870f.htm

Edited by J.D.