Storing flies

GAMBLER

How do you guys store your flies? here is how I store mine. I use 1" clear tubing and cut it at 5" long. I then makes slits in both ends of the tube. I put the fly through the tube and wrap the leader around the tube. You can also label the tubes with a sharpie. The tubes store nicely in a Plano large storage box with no dividers. Here are pictures of my set up.

flies1.jpg

flies2.jpg

I have my fly bodies that are un-rigged stored in plano 3700 boxes. The rigged one hang upside down in my head. Hanging them upside down maintains their puffiness. This is a pain in the arse on a smaller boat. So what I would recommend is to keep them that way when storing them in tubes.

Good Idea...probably costs less than my plano box from howies full of plastic tubes with caps....your idea reminds me of how I store ice fishing jig rigs on a cut off 12 ga. shotshell with slits in the ends then I store it inside an old 35mm film container.

Mark

I tie all my own flies,and use a 3/16 od tubing.The inside diameter is large enough to pass a loop knot of 50lb mono through it.

This way, I only have to change fly skirts,when i want to make a color change.I just slide off the skirt,and slide another color on.Also,i tie up five or six leaders with different color beads,so that i can change bead colors when ever i want,very easily.

By doing this,i can keep all my flies in a single Plano box.I try to keep about six of each of ten or twelve different patterns on hand,although in reality,my buddy and I probably have more than five hundred flies on board.Of course,many are experimental patterns,that we never seem to use.

Here's a picture of a plano box with some of my flies in it,that i gave to a friend for a gift.Some of these have hooks on them,but i only store the skirts in my own box's.I keep them the same way for myself,but without the leaders,only the skirts,so i can fit more of each,and a few more colors,in the same box..

IMG_0380.jpg