Cayuga Trolling Cayuga lake

We were there yesterday an there was some strong currents in areas. We would be doing 3.1 on gps and probe was 2.1 down 55'. Really need to vary your speeds until you get a hit and note your gps speed. Then target that speed. Varies by direction too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were there yesterday an there was some strong currents in areas. We would be doing 3.1 on gps and probe was 2.1 down 55'. Really need to vary your speeds until you get a hit and note your gps speed. Then target that speed. Varies by direction too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good point! It makes all the difference. Before I got my first fish hawk I would listen to the sounds of the down-riggers and it helped me get my speed right. If they are not whining a little your probably going to slow. The X4 is expensive but well worth the money!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 months later...

I just want to say thank you to everyone's help. Sold my boat to my neighbor and picked up a Neptune 202. Actually, hope to upgrade this to a better boat next season now that I know what I want to rig out. So, went out yesterday and lost 2 and landed what is my biggest Laker yet.. about 12 lbs. Thanks again....  now for ideas..

The new to me boat came with an almost new Bog Jon rigger with dual holders and a swivel base. I currently have 2 Penn Fantom 820 with swivel bases mounted to the boat and have a, extra set of swivel bases. The Penns work great except for 1 that is having issues with the line counter... so now I am at the "keep the Penn's or sell them and pick up a 2nd Big Jon"... so seeing that I am still fairly new to the downrigger game I thought I would ask the experts here.

I have and idea. Save the down rigger money for the fish Hawk X4D. That will give you true depth of the lure. Run the probe on the rigger with the bad counter. That would cover everything and I bet you would be glad you did! I personally love canon riggers and wouldn’t spend the money on the big Johns 

I actually love the cannons.. would love to sell all 3 of the ones that I have and put the cash towards a good set of Mag 10's. Anything remaining would go towards othe boat stuff, such as the Hawk.. have no clue what the Big Jon is worth but will dig into that and then list it for sale.. thanks