Cayuga Cayuga 8/19

Launched from Dean's a little after 6 this morning and headed South.  Nothing doing until halfway between the Brew Garden and Thirsty Owl where I found loads of debris from the recent rains.  Headed to the middle of the lake and minimal debris there for the most part.  Found a mix of lake trout and salmon in 250+ fow.  Best battle of the year with a beautiful salmon that hammered a sliding cheater off the rigger.  Had him beat and to the boat but had a problem as a  lake trout had hit the terminal spoon so I couldn't manage to work the rod and the  net on both fish with the salmon 7-8 feet behind the trout.  Finally had the trout in the net but created enough slack for the salmon to spit the spoon.  In the end the battle was awesome and glad to know he could swim away unharmed.  Off the water by 9:30 so a very satisfying morning.  

Awesome fish! I've fished cayuga hard for 2 years now and have yet to catch a rainbow. It's probably a dumb question but what is the best way to target them? Higher in the water column, faster, with smaller spoons than lakers? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't need specific lures or anything. You can keep the secrets, I just want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark. Thanks

Up high... Keep changing till they bite. I'm pulling dipseys but if I had my riggers back cheaters work good. Or sliders I think some call them. With riggers you can fish them like browns. Short leads fast turns.... But being dipsey only right now, I have one setup with each size dipsey and just keep letting line out till Lakers bite

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That rainbow really was a accidental catch.200 feet of wire,number 1 setting on a mag dipsey,SOG 1.9

Gold orange color lure.My boat caught the big rainbow in Owasco derby this year came off purple paddle with purple glow fly. 175 feet of wire.. Im guessing about 2mph thats the speed I usually aim for.So for color????????

I would agree with Fishing the FL If I was targeting rainbows I would fish that upper water column.Long leads,Probably start with "baby shower" colors. Fish next to or in the scumlines. Run free cheaters.I used to do real well in LO with a lure in the propwash. Nothing quite like a big rainbow jumping behind the boat before you see the rod go off.I have not ran a lure in the propwash in the fingerlakes It might work.

Some guy out of Lansing had a bunch of pirate spoons for sale in the classifieds section.They did not last long.Just rainbow killers on Lake Ontario.  I would imagine they would be in the fingerlakes.

TOP TIP;;You ready ?/// "  rainbows like spots"

• Like 1