how to hit a hole for big browns

stan

There is a lake I fish out here , called Lake Siskiyou. At the back of the dam , they had a dirt dam and a hole 152' deep. In that hole there are some big browns that hang in.

I have tried to jig for them in the hole, hit the downriggers on the walls of the hole. Now brings up the copper what and how guys ,can I troll that hole with the copper ? it starts from 55' to the drop off of the hole 152' Help please

let me understand what your saying here. Put a dipsy on a downrigger and send it down to the desired depth ?

What will this do ?

How much set back from the ball ?

What speed to troll at ?

I have never put a dipsy on the downrigger befor, hell never even crossed my mind

Should I run one on each downrigger ?

Matt did you get those Sisco Kids yet.

Stan That is what we called a deep dive down and out.

What you do is set the dipsey on 0...So it dives straight down. Let it back about 80 ft or so. Then set out your down rigger to the 100 ft mark. That dipsey and bait should be down around 130ft give or take. Troll about 2.2 or 2.4. Don't use your wire line..LOL.. Make sure its on a mono rod.....

Where we fish the water can be very clear. Then I might take a smaller dipsey set it on the farthest setting so it really goes away from the boat. I let it back about 30 ft then hook it up to my rigger. I usually run the rigger about 10ft above where I'm marking fish. Alot of times the vibration in the water from the cables or the rigger ball will scare the fish. This set up is called a "Down and Out". Some guys use size 0 dipseys. I tend to go with the quarter sized big john diver disks.

Never did get those Siscos.....Good luck with that extreme depth trolling.

hey thanks.

The dipsy will not trip the downrigger clip , with all that pull ?

I only have the magnum divers from luhr-jensen . 1set green and the other set yellow

I will give Steve a call tuesday and make sure he gets them out to you.

It was the thrillers and the Musky red hot thrillers right. I use the wrangler's and the husky out here for lake trout , browns and stripers. I don't think there is a better made lure

Stan,

The Scotty pinch pad rigger releases are the nuts. I like them and the blacks. Ive had some false releases on the blacks before, but not so many that I would be nervous.

Thanks again about the lures. We are starting to get into some heavy duty musky weather here...Possibly snow on Tuesday......Between waterfowl, Deer, and Muskies, my fall is going to be jammed packed.....Tight lines.....

Hey thanks again. I use the Scotty and Cannon. Sounds like your going to have to much fun. Sorry about the snow thing. We will not get any till around the end of Nov. But we sure could use lots of rain. Our lakes are so low after 3 yearts now of little rain.

I have to ask....what is the water temp down that deep in your hole? (insert joke here). Browns like water 48-66 degrees. No sense hitting 130' deep if the fish are not there. Here on Lake Ontario if you want browns, the average target depth is probably 60' in a lake that is as deep as some seas. I would imagine on the edges of the hole, there are some shelves, ledges etc. Contour trolling with a good gps lake map sound like the ticket IMO. Fighting a Brown with all that gear (dipsy, copper etc.) will absolutely kill the fun. A big brown on either mentioned junk set-up will feel like a blob of weeds. On the fingerlakes, fisherman have learned to use Sawbellies (baitfish) with a large egg sinker set up, similar to a Carolina rig, fished on the bottom in the target's preferred temperature range. This would allow you to use light gear, and really target any bottom features that might hold fish.

Mr. Gill-T

Thanks for your info. Most of the browns I catch on the lake are in those ranges. See they build a dirt dam to hold back the water . Then made the concrete dam. But at the bottom of the dirt dam there are big fish. The only fish in the lake are Brook Trout, Rainbow, Browns and small mouth bass. The bass, brooktrout will never get that big here. As far as rainbow posible. But they are holding tight to the bottom , the way a brown does. I have lost a few downrigger balls in that hole over the years. I have used light tackle there on many of them. As far as the water temp. have not been there in 4 mos. We will find out here in the next couple of days when I hit the lake.

Thanks for all your help. Thats why I love this site.

Hey Matt old friend it was great talking to you on the phone last night. Well I have everything ready to go for the morning. Set the dipsy at 0 made up some leaders. Hope I have some pictures to show. Talk to you again soon

Never heard of a dipsey referred to as a junk rig. I just call them fish catching implements. There are more days than not that a dipsey will outproduce a downrigger.

I'll stick to what works for me.........

Missdemeanor:

just to clarify what Gill said: divers, cores, coppers etc, are sometimes referred to as "junk lines" which really only means they are anything other than clean down rigger lines. When fighting the fish there's usually some other "junk" on there. It's not meant to be derogatory, because your right, many days they take more hits than the riggers.

Tim

Hey guys I am sorry, I did not try and get people up set.

Out here in California, everyone fishes three ways . Top line , jig or downrigger, thats it.

Now in the last 1 1/2 years I am trying to learn the way you all do so great . I now have plannerboards, dipsy divers, steel line, depth raider and all new copper set up.

I have to say ,at my age to have your eyes opened to a new way of catching fish is tough to swallow. But now I have mastered the plannerboards and dipsy divers. My friends can not believe the size and fish I catch, I have always caught fish in the past , but not the caliber I do now. I want to thank all of you for the many lessons. please don't get up set with each other.Thats the way they do on California boards. Thanks again to all

Glad it's been a help Stan. Not to worry about the site here. Guys disagree, but in the end everyone gets along just fine. Everyone has their own opinion on how to do things. Some may be right & some wrong, but that's the way we learn from each other. Glad to hear you're doing better at fishing out in Calif. That's what this site is all about. (We Make Good Fishermen Even Better) ;)

Stan..... Its all good brother...Wasn't bent in the least. Just really never heard of that term. Just like you I learn every time I go out. For the past 30 years Ive tried different baits, techniques, and presentations. Some worked, some did not. My way of thinking is how do you know it won't work if you didn't try it? Sometimes thinking out of the box can come up with a technique that will get you totally dialed in while the other boats are washing lures. My point is try new stuff......It sure sounds like you may be a pioneer in Salmonoid fishing in your parts. Way to go my man......

I posted up some pictures , from a trip yesterday 10-22. Silver Streak spoons and planner boards we caught over 24 fish. What a blast. People that saw what we were doing , caught up with us at the boat ramp, and I just had to show and tell for a couple of hours. :D They are on the small lake board