Is this the future of G.L. fishing?

chinook

Gambler, it is about the possible invasion of the Asian carp into the Great lakes system. The head of the US Fisheries is explaining about the potential impact and decimation they would have on the ecosystem. If they happen to get into the G.l's. a total collapse is very possible. Pretty scary viewing and thought. May want to hold off on any new purchases. He claims that there is an electric barrier currently, as a last line of defense. But the actual sale of the carp themselves is only prohibited in the province of Ontario.

Andy, actually there is a thread somewhat along this line on the GLA site currently. It is in regards the the Chicago river barrier and a snag it has hit. The last line of defense before entering Lake Michigan. What is really surprising to me, that this thread has had close to 120 views and only had 3 other replies other than my own. Amazing. Maybe most don't think it will happen. I tend to think it is only a matter of time-If you watch several other videos after watching the one posted, some of them go on to say that the Asian carp are allowed to be sold to the provinces of Canada other than Ontario. And some fear it is just a matter of time before someone uses the 6'' carp for bait, and then releasing them into the Great Lakes themselves. - Duane

A couple years ago NYS passed emergency regulation to prohibit having live ones in the state except in a certain area in NYC.

http://www.worldlakes.org/shownews.asp?newsid=1633

They are not known to be in any NYS waters. However that was also claimed of the snakeshead a couple years ago & the DEC just chemically treated a lake in the east end of the state for snakeshead. (Had to kill everything in that lake)

There are videos on you-tube showing "Redneck fishing" for them with nets and others showing bow hunting the jumping fish. These are funny to watch the first time around, however these beast are a very serious matter. They could ruin fishing as we know it.

As stake-holders in the NYS fishery, we need to be aware of them and if any of us run into these beasts, we need to immediately report it to the DEC. IE kill it, photo it, take it to the regional office.

As to the 'Sanitary canal" barrier, it has gliches & needs funding, however a better solution would be to fill it in. The boats that use it are fairly small & carry nothing that couldn't be trucked around it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom, I agree that there are none known of yet in Ontario. I believe what might happen is that they will filter from Michigan, then into the other Great Lakes. May take a few years but the chances now are fairly significant I.M.O. As the spiney water flea was introduced in Huron back in the mid 80's then worked their way thru the system. They say the reproduction rate of the carp is very rapid. Don't want to be a doomsayer here just a realist. The chances of their intro into the lakes is much greater than some thought. Thanks for your post- Duane

I remember watching a story about them on the discovery channel within the last year. I recall my first thought after watching it was that it was only a matter of time before they get into the great lakes, and It's scary as heck thinking about It. It's a form of pollution In a sense, and could be catastrophic! I don't even like thinking about it!

This old article sums It up pretty well.

http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/invasive/asiancarp/index.html

Some time ago I posted a concern for the fisheries in all the Lakes ...citing the collapse in lake Huron.... this is just another invasive that has shown up along with others...It's a real concern that needs a solution NOW... the economic impact will resonate deeply around the great lakes....Yes we are all concerned but what we need to do is find the right agencies in the marine biology sectors to find out what to do. I for one don't know where to start but am willing to fight for a solution any way I can.

Mark