Deer Search

scobar

Hope you never need it but...

Finger Lakes Chapter 585.935.5220

Western NY Chapter 716.648.4355

One tip that is extremely helpful to us trackers is marking the trail. I tell hunters to use tissue paper every 20' or so up high not on the ground. Then you can use this to look back and see (somewhat) the direction the deer is headed. Best of all is it helps us even more, because more than once I have gone on a track and hunters cant show me the hit site, let alone the trail it took. 

Good luck and I hope I don't hear from you. :)

Scott

I found another tip that’s useful as well, not to trash a spot by having numerous people come help try finding blood and trashing an area by walking all over cause they can step on the smallest of blood or scent, if you lose the blood trail mark it and back out then make the call to deer search. 

I found another tip that’s useful as well, not to trash a spot by having numerous people come help try finding blood and trashing an area by walking all over cause they can step on the smallest of blood or scent, if you lose the blood trail mark it and back out then make the call to deer search. 
Yes, that confuses the dog
I

Sent from my SM-T280 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Had a family member stick a beauty last year but was in the most thickest cover you could imagine and didn’t have a good trail. Used a service dog and trainer, can’t remember the name but was just incredible. Short story was the dog found it 75 yds from where it was hit. Deer did a complete 180 degree turn and had everyone second guessing where the dog was taking them. Moral of the story, be open minded and never assume where you think the deer went, the dog owner let the dog work his magic and wala found it. It was a liver hit and thankfully it wasn’t pushed after the shot knowing it wasn’t in the boiler room. My hats off to you and the other dog owners that provide this service.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Hope you never need it but...
Finger Lakes Chapter 585.935.5220
Western NY Chapter 716.648.4355

One tip that is extremely helpful to us trackers is marking the trail. I tell hunters to use tissue paper every 20' or so up high not on the ground. Then you can use this to look back and see (somewhat) the direction the deer is headed. Best of all is it helps us even more, because more than once I have gone on a track and hunters cant show me the hit site, let alone the trail it took. 

Good luck and I hope I don't hear from you. [emoji4]

Scott

Will the finger lakes chapter go to Newfield NY ( 20 minutes south of Ithaca ) ? I don’t need one now but it’s good to have someone if need be .......

‘Bout Time
Mike

50 minutes ago, bout time said:

Will the finger lakes chapter go to Newfield NY ( 20 minutes south of Ithaca ) ? I don’t need one now but it’s good to have someone if need be .......

‘Bout Time
Mike

Mike,

That's a ways but it all depends on who's available. I have driven over an hour to reach a hunter. 

Stay off the trail, mark the trail and when you call in state that you have done this. We get a lot of calls and the screening of the calls is the first step to getting a call back and a dog out to help.

Deer Search is always open for new members. Your kids can become licensed trackers with the DEC. Any dog can do a good job if you train it. I have some kind of mixed breed that is in her 8th year and Reddog loves it. Both of our chapters have training sessions and I would be happy to teach someone as well. As all you dog owners know its just repetition when it comes to training. 

Check out both web sites and come along on a track and your kids will want to get in on the action.

The down side is it takes away from my hunting time, but the smile on young hunters face when you recover that doe is well worth the trade off to me.

Scott 

• Thanks 1