Finger Lakes Crappie

crazy ivan

• 3 months later...

If anyone  catches a few Crappie or perch  locally, they don't share any specifics ever here, - for whatever reason.. However, they limit out on 10-15 pound Browns/Rainbows/Salmon, you'll get lure type/color/depths/speed/temperature/ water clarity/rigger ball design/flea and weed reports, and GPS numbers... Never understood it..

When I want good eating fresh water fish, I go to clear water lakes with a few worms under a bobber  and  catch big sunnies.. Every bit as good eating as crappie, fight a lot harder , and no one keeps secrets about them..  they are just there and  readily available... bob

• Like 1

There are many reasons that folks usually don't share specifics on here and one of the main ones is similar in principle to the issue with mentioning stream fishing data and spot burning. many people see the info on here  and places can get fished out. The issue is especially relevant to perch and crappies as they are a "schooling" fish. Some people feel that the supply of these fish is unlimited and that no matter how many are taken they just replenish themselves "magically".somehow. It takes crappies and perch quite awhile to mature and since they aren't protected during spawning or at any other times of the season they are quite vulnerable despite the magical thinking of the naysayers. The trout and salmon fishing on open lakes is a very different animal because the fish are dispersed within the fishery rather than concentrated in major schools and they are protected by regulations during much of the spawning season.....big difference. Usually information regarding these species is transmitted by PM on here rather than being posted generally.

Edited by Sk8man

I appreciate the insight from both, though I posted the question in April. I wound up going to the south end of Honeoye once. That day fish and people were crammed in the little channel. I didn't find it a particularly enjoyable place and type of fishing. I will not post questions regarding crappie going forward for the sake of thier sustainability.  Just teasing, have a good summer!

Still getting em here on Otisco as of fourth of July week.  Haven't tried since then.  Pond side has a good population just have to find em.  10-12 inchers are easily taken on small minnows.  The big 14-17 inch slabs are tougher but catchable on jigs with paddle tails or curl tails.  Not little crappie jigs... bass jigs.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2019 at 3:20 PM, bulletbob said:

If anyone  catches a few Crappie or perch  locally, they don't share any specifics ever here, - for whatever reason.. However, they limit out on 10-15 pound Browns/Rainbows/Salmon, you'll get lure type/color/depths/speed/temperature/ water clarity/rigger ball design/flea and weed reports, and GPS numbers... Never understood it..

When I want good eating fresh water fish, I go to clear water lakes with a few worms under a bobber  and  catch big sunnies.. Every bit as good eating as crappie, fight a lot harder , and no one keeps secrets about them..  they are just there and  readily available... bob

bb a big sunny in frying pan salt pepper butter n garlic...oh man👍

• Like 2