Struggling at Mexico Pt & Oswego

Just wondering if anyone else is finding the brown trout fishing a struggle this spring ? The past couple of years we've done really well at both spots landing browns, this year not so much. Same everything....much different results. Is it us or has something changed with the fish/lake?

I’ve had excellent luck in Mexico bay. I think a huge key is boat traffic. Obviously, water color/temp, trolling speed, lure choice all play a role too. Let the forum know what you’re using for bait, presentation, days you go and your trolling speed and we can try to help you out!

9 hours ago, wallychaser said:

Just wondering if anyone else is finding the brown trout fishing a struggle this spring ? The past couple of years we've done really well at both spots landing browns, this year not so much. Same everything....much different results. Is it us or has something changed with the fish/lake?

This is how I feel too, except with lakers. I must have lake trout repellant on my lures. Can’t seem to catch one and never have out of Lake O.

Went out west out of Mexico Pt yesterday, fished  8 fow to 40 fow, mix of spoons and sticks 1.5 to 2.5 mph using 4 inline planer boards and 2 drop shots off the corners. Landed 1 brown. Seems the same set up the past couple of years worked perfectly consistently catching 10, 12 or more fish each outing. 

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

If you've had success in years past, I think it is right to assume you know what you are doing. I think the factors you can control (speed, lures, presentation) we can also assume you're using proper technique. How was the boat traffic? That could play a part. Also consider weather. I've noticed out of Mexico point we either do really well or really poorly. This year has been far more of the former than the latter for me. I know what it's like though, to see some reports of catching 30 in one day; whereas on that same day, I can barely land a single fish. Frustrating. I do not think there is a population problem in the Lake, if that is what is on your mind, and i think most would agree. 

Thanks for the replies. Guess we just haven't hit the lake on the right day yet this year. We don't fish weekends so boat traffic shouldn't be the issue altho there does seem to be more boats around during the week than previous years. Water temps (surface) have ranged from 43-49* about the same as before. We haven't changed anything gear/boat wise. We'll keep working at it. Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

Last year was the first year i have fished Lake Ontario and i did very well with spring browns the few trips i made.  (for a rookie with limited gear)   I am leaving in a few hrs to fish all day tomarrow and Sunday for my first trip of the year. I will post while I’m out there and hopefully i hook onto a few. 

12 hours ago, Offshore IV said:

If you've had success in years past, I think it is right to assume you know what you are doing. I think the factors you can control (speed, lures, presentation) we can also assume you're using proper technique. How was the boat traffic? That could play a part. Also consider weather. I've noticed out of Mexico point we either do really well or really poorly. This year has been far more of the former than the latter for me. I know what it's like though, to see some reports of catching 30 in one day; whereas on that same day, I can barely land a single fish. Frustrating. I do not think there is a population problem in the Lake, if that is what is on your mind, and i think most would agree. 

Not so sure of that. Remember 2 years ago when they did a brown stocking in Oswego and the cormorants took most of them. Some kind of mishap....didn't go out far enough before releasing them? Not sure what happened but there is probably a few guys on this forum who remember.

7 hours ago, MikeyP said:

Not so sure of that. Remember 2 years ago when they did a brown stocking in Oswego and the cormorants took most of them. Some kind of mishap....didn't go out far enough before releasing them? Not sure what happened but there is probably a few guys on this forum who remember.

Hm interesting. I personally don’t think there’s a population issue though. Most of the other reports here are of people being successful (perhaps some have too much pride to post when they don’t get any :lol:). Plus I’m marking enough to make me think there’s plenty there. Totally open to others’ opinions though. I hope it’s not a population issue!

2 hours ago, Offshore IV said:

Hm interesting. I personally don’t think there’s a population issue though. Most of the other reports here are of people being successful (perhaps some have too much pride to post when they don’t get any :lol:). Plus I’m marking enough to make me think there’s plenty there. Totally open to others’ opinions though. I hope it’s not a population issue!

I'm not sure myself. I know we lost a big stocking due to a stocking screw up. Not sure how it might be affecting the brown trout population. I know there are people in this forum who know more about what happened than I do. I believe someone here posted it when it happened.

14 hours ago, wallychaser said:

Good luck to you Hachimo :yes:  Looking forward to your report

Got a late start getting up here this morning. Rods in at 7:45 and so far 2/2. One nice brown and a steelie. 20FOW. Sudas point buckeye in front of catfish.  Will post more later.  Feels good to get the deck wet:yes:

Went 5/5 this morning. 2 steelies and 3 browns with one double. All fish came in 30FOW down 20-25 on dipseys n riggers only two spoons that had action were the buckeye and other one pictured ( I’m only a rookie don’t know all my spoon patterns yet. Lol.  ).  Takin a lounch break and heading out back out for evening bite

F1E3EDBA-7C62-419C-A48B-570C9BD6C70C.jpeg

DC60868C-0D9E-4068-BA5A-F03FC6D288CA.jpeg

Great job, if you head east out of Little Salmon into about 40' of water in front of the park was stacked up with Kings a couple days ago. Try Carbon 14 Lure on overcast and chicken shack in the sun. That's what we caught all our fish on

Went back out from 3:00-7;00 in front of the plant fishing in 80FOW. Ended the evening 3/5.  1 king 15lb:dance:and two browns.   Had some excitement thou.  Hit a triple and all reels taking drag.  Me and the wife “as rookies” made of mess of everything and only landed one fish bein the only king.  All spoon bite.  Camping tonight and hitting it again bright and early.  

63D749F3-7523-4D7B-9C51-D912E8AE1659.jpeg

Edited by Hachimo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1