Kicker gas tank location

Alpineski

I just purchased a new four stroke kicker motor. My main motor is an older 2-stroke and I bypassed the oil injection and premix fuel and oil in my onboard tank for the main motor.

So, I need to use a small remote tank for new kicker with “straight” gas. I was originally excited that the tank tucks nicely in the pictured storage compartment in the rear of my boat. Now that I’m looking at it, thinking this could be a pretty big hazard as my batteries and bus bar are in there also.

Any thoughts? Wondering if rigging up a vent hose from tank lid to an external breather would be safe or if I should just avoid this location all together?

IMG_6697.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know you have a different situation but just for ideas for others thinking about the issue or you if it is of use:smile:

gastank1.jpg

gastank2.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, I do have a small swim platform that would hold the tank - in my situation, it’s pretty low to the water so would prob be fine on calm days but I would worry about water constantly flooding over the tank in bigger waves.

To add some context to my first post, that area isn’t air tight, I do have some holes where my downrigger cords enter and some flush mount rod holders that provide some ventilation. It’s certainly “enclosed” though.

I’m leaning towards leaving tank where it is, putting batteries in boxes with lids, and opening doors for a bit before staring and every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would not worry about your putting it where it is in the picture. I would say 99% of fires on a boat are started by fumes [ and a errant spark ] .Fumes will drop to the lowest point in a hull , your bilge ,not in the area you want to put the tank.. That's why your blower duct hoses are set up to suck air and fumes from the bottom of the hull , not mid point or higher.  If your bus bar and batteries are properly set up and all connections are doubled check I would not give it a second thought.

I would take a look at some online info as to what has been done with venting portable tanks. Me personally, and not that this makes it right, but portable gas tanks are meant to be vented if you run from them. You will no doubt build fumes in that compartment. Those fumes are heavier than air and will linger and possibly make it in your bilge area. The notion of having a good electrical setup to prevent an explosion is a risk that I would suggest not taking. You might even want to check insurance / coast guard regs to see if there is anything that might steer you in comfortable direction. This type of stuff isn’t like a leaky rivet, not that it can’t make your day worse. Just an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

On 5/20/2019 at 9:13 AM, Sk8man said:

I know you have a different situation but just for ideas for others thinking about the issue or you if it is of use:smile:

gastank1.jpg

gastank2.jpg

This is what I will be doing, I like having room inside the boat so mounting on the swim platform is where mine is going.

I have used a Xintex gas fume detection  for five years,It cost about $100 and still works great.If my boat stlls it would detect the flooded engine and sound alarm.They should be mandatory on all power boats.

You can easily check the sending unit with a unlit cigarette lighter.

Appreciate everyone's input!  I do agree that some amount of fumes will be released into that compartment - hence my original concern.  I do feel it is fairly vented so I have a decision to make.  Putting boat in water this weekend so will explore if swim platform is viable for me.  

I really like the idea of the fume detection - regardless of where I end up with the tank.  I didn't know those existed but will look to purchase and install one - thanks for that!