Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reelfanatic

Saddle hunting

I have hunted in a saddle and used climbing spurs. The mobility is phenomenal. However, it is challenging to get into a steady shooting position in a saddle. Also, I stopped using mine because I learned it was illegal to use climbing spurs for hunting. The laws may have changed. On the plus side, you can climb quite a bit higher 30-35ft in a good tree to manage your odor envelope and take one hell of a nap if so inclined. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My saddle hunting was on horseback. I loved it. Is that legal here ?

I have hunted in a saddle and used climbing spurs. The mobility is phenomenal. However, it is challenging to get into a steady shooting position in a saddle. Also, I stopped using mine because I learned it was illegal to use climbing spurs for hunting. The laws may have changed. On the plus side, you can climb quite a bit higher 30-35ft in a good tree to manage your odor envelope and take one hell of a nap if so inclined. Good luck!

Thank you! From what I read, spurs are illegal on stateland but I haven't read anything saying so on private land. I'll look into it. Do you have a set up you want to sell, or recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've looked into it after reading your post. I ordered the kestrel flexfit saddle. 10 week backorder so I guess I will have to wait until late bow season. Now I'm checking out ways to climb the tree. Looks like SRT single rope tree, or using a single strap on step may work for me. I hunt public lands so this may be best way for me to get way back in as I do, but without lugging a heavy tree stand.

Thank you! From what I read, spurs are illegal on stateland but I haven't read anything saying so on private land. I'll look into it. Do you have a set up you want to sell, or recommend?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I dont recall the make of my saddle.... i bought it around 2006 and all the branding has worn off. Its polypropylene and re enforced with heavy webbing. I used lineman pole climbing spikes. Took a little practice. I would recommend practicing climbing with the spikes prior to hunting. Also, when you get good you can climb with just ur hands but a strap is a lot easier. Particularly when hauling equipment up the tree. Good luck! Im getting itchy to pull my saddle out now. Lost 100# this year. Might just be able to get my fat butt up the tree.

There is nothing like finding the perfect spot..... you just know its right..... and set up the widow maker.

Be safe and enjoy!  The pole climbing spurs are shorter than the tree spurs I've tried, but that was almost 3 decades ago.  I'll take a sealed up warm Maverick 6 with a comfy chair!

I too am considering going with a saddle for the simple point of being mobile quickly! Even if it's 10 yards. Definitely will not be this season but will be researching like crazy to decide.