Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Headed out for another run last night and found a good temp break at 60fow50deg at 70ft in 105fow.(finally have a fishhawk,TD only) but will work for now..was rough out there for my boat just worked 100-150fow.with lots of bait and a few marks in 110-130fow.only 1 hookup on a purple ladder back spoon for us,didn’t even get a look at what it was.was east of the oak.had a great time! even with the skunk..

I hardly ever catch anything in the evening at The Oak, but I'm not a very good fisherman. To keep your hopes alive ,the Orleans County Derby winner was caught at the Oak in the evening.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fish alot of nights after work out of the oak, and I do just fine. If you dont know where to start a quick night trip can be hard bc of the short time to get on fish. But if you have some good Intel and set right up on he fish you can have some really good catches.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fish out of the Oak. This is my first year, but I haven't gotten skunked yet. Not sure what spread you are running, I usually start with spoons with cheaters on my riggers and FF on my dipsy rods. I will start switching spoons out after about a half hour if I don't get any hits.

I do about the same morning or night.

Getting a fish hawk X4 this year was a game changer.

Posted (edited)

Just n FYI comment as a "reminder" the Fishawk is a great tool in the arsenal and is especially helpful in the Spring and Summer as well as late Fall but right about now the "preferred" temp game rules will be changing. Take your temp readings and set up accordingly but if you aren't having any action don't totally rely on that alone because the fish are already showing up in way out of temp water (e.g. 60 or 70 degree water). They will do this both to feed if bait is available there, perhaps while searching for food (usually less mature fish feeding), but more commonly as part of the internal genetics/homing instinct going on for the matures and fish will be traversing the lake from many directions and depths. It is tempting to say "throw out the temps" but you just need to think of it as one tool not the end all thing. These fish will also come from way outside of the cone of your transducer too so don't get despondent about not seeing a bunch of marks this time of year. It is a real time of the season for experimentation and letting the fish suggest what to use or do:smile: Response to aggressive urges may be the key right now rather than looking for bait etc. and bright highly active lures and attractors may be the most productive. A we go along the mature kings mouths tend to harden up and hook-ups may become more difficult with fish not really getting ahold of the lures (and sometimes hitting the attractors instead ) so sometimes tightening up releases a bit and shortening up leads on riggers may help.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Just n FYI comment as a "reminder" the Fishawk is a great tool in the arsenal and is especially helpful in the Spring and Summer as well as late Fall but right about now the "preferred" temp game rules will be changing. Take your temp readings and set up accordingly but if you aren't having any action don't totally rely on that alone because the fish are already showing up in way out of temp water (e.g. 60 or 70 degree water). They will do this both to feed if bait is available there, perhaps while searching for food (usually less mature fish feeding), but more commonly as part of the internal genetics/homing instinct going on for the matures and fish will be traversing the lake from many directions and depths. It is tempting to say "throw out the temps" but you just need to think of it as one tool not the end all thing. These fish will also come from way outside of the cone of your transducer too so don't get despondent about not seeing a bunch of marks this time of year. It is a real time of the season for experimentation and letting the fish suggest what to use or do:smile: Response to aggressive urges may be the key right now rather than looking for bait etc. and bright highly active lures and attractors may be the most productive. A we go along the mature kings mouths tend to harden up and hook-ups may become more difficult with fish not really getting ahold of the lures (and sometimes hitting the attractors instead ) so sometimes tightening up releases a bit and shortening up leads on riggers may help.

Totally agree.  The part about mouths hardening I was unaware of so from now on anytime after mid August if I lose a fish that is my new excuse ;) 

I switch to 3/0 singles this time of year. I found I don’t miss as many kings that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1