Bottom paint to prevent Zebras?

larry

Thanks Hank, if the 440v line connected to the bubbler don't work then where can Pettit aluma guard be bought? The boat was docked in Oak Orchard Creek this year and didn't get a lot of use so they had time to grow.

Hahaha....... Rob - want to take a guess who was stuck cleaning that mess off the bottom???? It wasn't easy either... not even a high pressure hose did much, I ended up having to use a spatula to scrap them all off........ grrrrr....... :@

Dear Larry,

Aluminum hulls require special paint systems if your going to leave them docked for a long time. Listen to Hank (L&M). Contact/Research this carefully with the PAINT MANUFACTURER...InterLux. and read "National Fisherman" paper about the commercial boat applicators problems.

Zebras do like aluminum, stainless steel and all metals used under water!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill (with aluminum boat)

As mentioned in the previous replies,don't use a standard copper based anti fouling on an aluminum boat.If you do,you'll make one big giant battery out of it,and have severe electrolysis.

You need a special anti fouling paint for aluminum,usually a tin based product.The EPA doesn't like it though.

**Interlux makes a bottom paint for aluminum,called Trilux 33. It costs around 200.00 per gallon.

** Pettit makes a paint called Vivid Free,which is also safe for aluminum. It costs around 160.00 per gallon.

Hank

Well,thanks to your help,i now know where to start.

I figure that if i can at least get somewhere close,I can get it sea trialed here at home,before i bring it to Olcott for good.Once i get up there ,I can try a couple more props if needed.

I just didn't want to have to spend days experimenting with props,when we could be fishing.

Thanks again .

PS: The Pettit paint for aluminum, is called Vivid free.They make one called Vivid,but it's copper based.