AFTCO Fishing Flatline Clip

Earl28

Earl28,

Not sure what your intended use is, but theFL1B, also known as the "Roller Troller", doesn't work like a standard downrigger release in that it does not pinch or hold on a specific part of your fishing line. Instead, it has an adjustable tension v-shaped roller which allows your line to move freely back and forth across the roller. Roller trollers are generally used when trolling with flatlines to allow you to get the lines much lower than your rod tips and into the water closer to the boat. For obvious reasons they are usually mounted somewhere low on your boat, maybe on a rope cleat or transom tow loop. As far as adjustability, I have used them for fishing shad on the Delaware River to stripers and bluefish on the ocean and have not found there to be any issues with sensitivity, it's completely adjustable to your needs. Not sure if any of this helps, if so, good  luck and catch 'em up!

They are OK for flatlining (top lining) UV rays raise hell with the plastic on them if you do much summer fishing and they can disintegrate. The other thing is that they can bang around on your boat when under speed if not secured. They also cost $26 so you can buy 5 outrigger model Black Releases for about that without the potential problems. The rollers themselves are good quality and Aftco is known for their rollers (e.g. roller tips for rods etc.)

Edited by Sk8man

Hi Nick, thank you the feedback. I am think of using them to run long coppers on outriggers and plainers. I am looks to be able to adjust the lengths on the fly. No more pulling them in to change form 300-600. Just reel to the length you need for the depth of the fish you just mark.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

OK, got you. I would think that they would work fine for that application once you got them adjusted for the tension you need. Some of my roller trollers are over 10 years old, used in fresh and saltwater, with no problems. I totally agree with sk8man, Aftco makes an excellent product from my experience, but they are a bit pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just an FYI in case you (or others) aren't able to get what you want from them. The Blacks releases can be used say from outriggers and you can totally adjust them for your purpose by just not looping the line around the release arm just allow it to run through it . You can let out or withdraw as much line as you wish with that method and still have the fish release the line from the release unless it is a very small one perhaps. I used my outriggers that way for over 40 years without any problems. Setting the tension properly is the only crritical part of it.

It is certainly worth a shot Earl. I imagine most of the guys running the Aftcos will be saltwater guys using things other than copper. Always fun to experiment anyway. I think you may need to make sure that in setting up the release it is fastened to the boat such that there is no give or stretch involved and that you are able to achieve the proper tension adjustment such that it holds the copper properly (a lot of drag especially with longer ones) and yet will still release for fish to minimize "snap offs". You'll probably have to play around a bit to get it right.:smile: I wouldn't think there would be any copper damage as you would be running your backing line through it with the copper already fully deployed.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

When I used to run long coppers, I set them in roller releases on a fixed loop present 10’ from my otter boat planers. The roller releases have the benefit of showing small fish to prevent dragging shakers by setting the drag light on the reel. Also, on turns you can prevent hitting bottom by pre-letting out additional backing before the turn and then reel in copper during the turn to speed it up- keeping it from sinking. Now a days if I want to fish deep out wide, I can attach a dipsy to roller release, send the board out and then send dipsy back. A double keel otter can even tow a mag dipsy. 

Earl - I re-read your post and I now see what you were asking about potential damage to the copper by not letting it out all the way and adjusting as needed to different lengths as desired. My hunch is that as long as the copper diameter was big enough as to not slip over the edge of the roller (and possibly catch) or the roller didn't twist such that the copper got wrapped up in it another possible concern would come with the connection of the copper to leader and the connection of copper to the backing (e.g. knots or swivel connections) going across the roller over time and wearing, but otherwise just the copper itself would probably be OK  as those AFTCO rollers are pretty smooth running.

Probably the most important consideration running the copper the way you are mentioning is that it will not be running at the same depth as when it is run as a dedicated set-up with the backing exposed. With a dedicated setup the copper wire is running roughly perpendicular to the water whereas with the other setup it is at an angle and depending on speed it will be losing quite a bit of depth because of that angle and water resistance against the wire as contrasted with it running perpendicular and the angle will be on the less resistant backing. You really won't have much idea where you are running depth-wise run that way but as a dedicated line it should follow the chart data somewhat (again depending on speed and wire diameter etc.).

Edited by Sk8man