Sockeye Salmon

Here on the west coast and other parts of the country, the Sockeye has been introduced

to fresh water lakes . Then then are called Kokanee Salmon. Here in California a 3lb Kokanee is a monster. My question is -do you think I could use steel line rod with a dipsy diver to catch them on ? In the past they have not be big enough or heavy enough to trip the dipsy. Any suggestions would be appreciated please

stan,

that is a perfect place to use a slide diver lite bite, it has release arms both front and back and you can set to back one to release so light that any shaker big enough to take your bait will trip it, yet set the front release tight enough that it isn't always false releasing from boat pull

www.slidediver.com

Tim

Stan, just have a little patience setting the lite-bite, it takes a bit more finesse than a regular dipsy, (I would go w/ clear or black SD lite bites), also I got a hold of Chris@ Berts & he is looking at my setup, very helpful guy, thank you for steering me to him for the Ped mount mast project. -Andy

Andy you will love it. I love the one I have. They fitted the mast to my bow seat pedistil

and added a 1' extension to get over my canvas top.

Now I was thinking of the small dollar size dipsy divers, most kokanee fishing is in the 39 to 65' level .

Hi Stan,

Overcoming the tripping problem won't be much of an issue with the S. D. lite bite.

What you want to consider is that it won't be much fun reeling in small fish with the gear required to run it as well as the tripped diver itself.

Just my opinion.

Glen

http://www.sinker-dropper.com/

Stan

Use your old nuts and bolts or rerod pieces, anything to weight it and get down to the scopeeyes, er um I mean sockeyes ( been talkin to Ray too much). ...anyway check this out for something to get your lure down and not have any weight draggin or equipment for that matter. fight the fish on the line unencumbered by extra equipment. I can't say I've used it but as you can see I am considering it for certain circumstances.

Mark

what dat, um downrigger....use copper outhouse wire...attach weight (trailer support) cement brick. call Ray to git details.

skipper got materials...you make downrigger. Rayyyyy! you got it! reinvent the wheel...uugghhh! missing link found :lol:

Andy you will love it. I love the one I have. They fitted the mast to my bow seat pedistil

and added a 1' extension to get over my canvas top.

Now I was thinking of the small dollar size dipsy divers, most kokanee fishing is in the 39 to 65' level .

Stan,I have run those lil dipsies on my planer rods (8' med.light) get the Walkers (they trip, the lil L. Jensons don't) I think that's a better idea because the SD rigs I put together are kinda heavy duty . If you don't have fleas, super braid is probably gonna get you to depth and give you a better grab rate, but then you need a stretch of mono out in front of the diver, don't know about that fish's mouth - if you would need more shock absorber? Too bad it's so far, I would kinda like to experiment on them myself, sounds like a lot more fun than plowing snow again today! - Andy