Downriggers Mag 10 questions.

Lily 2

I have 2 older electric mag 10 on my boat. The boat is new to me with these downriggers. I've read alot about a boat being what is called Hot. Producing a electrical current that maybe higher than what would attract fish. I haven't tested my cables to see if there is a issue but if there is how do I remidy the problem. Is it better to just switch to braid on the riggers or is there a way to ground the cable somehow to the boat. The boat is fiberglass and I feel my catch ratio between my divers and my riggers is really off ballance. Looking for some fine tuning advice. I use 12 lbd standard lead weights with no insulation on the weights them selves. I've also read that the electrical current can scare fish for hundeads of feet. So if cables are hot would changing to the braid even make a difference. I'm probably looking deeper in to something that is more coincidental than anything just trying to get peace of mind. Thanks

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have 2 older electric mag 10 on my boat. The boat is new to me with these downriggers. I've read alot about a boat being what is called Hot. Producing a electrical current that maybe higher than what would attract fish. I haven't tested my cables to see if there is a issue but if there is how do I remidy the problem. Is it better to just switch to braid on the riggers or is there a way to ground the cable somehow to the boat. The boat is fiberglass and I feel my catch ratio between my divers and my riggers is really off ballance. Looking for some fine tuning advice. I use 12 lbd standard lead weights with no insulation on the weights them selves. I've also read that the electrical current can scare fish for hundeads of feet. So if cables are hot would changing to the braid even make a difference. I'm probably looking deeper in to something that is more coincidental than anything just trying to get peace of mind. Thanks

You really need to measure with a digital meter first, then decide if your variances are really “ hot”. I do not recall the dc voltage range off the top of my head. I am running mag10 older models as well and this was one of the first things I did. There is a black box on the market for around $100 to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Would someone like to explain how to measure the current on the cables? One leed to the cable the other to the boat or do you have to find a ground? Thanks,     Matt

Thanks for the replys I guess I'm not as worked about having to little a charge as I am having to much. I know the electrical fields can attract or repel fish and I won't have the answer untill I test the system. If I did have a " hot " boat I'm just wondering what the easiest way to remidy the problem is. I have never used braid on a downrigger I guess I have never noticed quite a large difference in catch rates between the riggers and divers. My divers have always caught more than the riggers even before this boat but it seems the numbers are way more different than in years past.

My riggers also do have auto stop but I'm not as concerned about that if the wire is actually repelling fish. I can stop my riggers all day long manually if that means putting more fish over the side of the boat. I am catching fish on the riggers but I am noticing a bigger than normal difference between the riggers and divers.

I’m only somewhat knowledgeable of this as I had a hot boat with mine. Spent a tremendous amount of time finding source. Ended up being a couple of things with bonding and my radio. Learned a lot going through it. Basically if you touch your neg side of the battery and touch different points on your boat while turning on electrical stuff you’ll see if you have leakage. Paint bubbling around my canvas snaps were giving signs of electrolysis going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you frogger for the response. I'm going to take voltage measurements next time I'm at the boat. Did you find the riggers to repel fish. I haven't noticed anything else on the boat caroding deafinatly not getting any shocks. I feel like I'm chasing a coincidence but I'm doing some fine tuning on the boat and if I'm having a problem deafinatly want to fix it.