2009 ProAM Rules

Erin,

They way I read it, you can take as many as your legal limit it, but they will only weigh your top 3 fish. SO if you have 3 guys you can keep 9 fish, but only weigh the biggest 3. Looks like it is going to be a by the day event, so Saturday and Sunday will be a whole new event for the open Division. But Let's see when we get some more clarification.

Rich

What I read, there is a seperate Open Division which does not require an Observer but it runs on the same 2 days as the Pro-Am correct? What is the entrance fee for the Open Division?

Howie

Howie,

If you open the registration form it says 105 for each day. So it looks like it is going to be 2 seperate derbys if you will. I am waiting to see if we can get some clarification on this. Looks interesting.

Rich

Concerning the new "open division"

Based on past talks with some of the committee, I'm guessing that Saturday and Sunday are two separate events. This Is what was being discussed a few months ago. I'm not affiliated with the Pro Am committee In any way, so I guess we will have to wait on a more official word.

My understanding on the reasoning for the open division was to get more teams Involved. There Is now a division for everyone. Some teams may not be able to do both days.....but could do one. It also gives teams who may have had an off day a clean slate on day two. You will have a chance to go from last to first , something that Is not very likely In the Am or Pro divisions. Our Initial concern was the Am division could loose to many teams that decide to jump down to the open division. My suggestion to minimize that was prize structure, but I don't know what the committee's decision on that Is/ was?

I think this third division Is a good Idea. Hopefully they follow through with the prize structure suggestions. Our discussion last year on Lou helped the committee In developing this Idea as they listened intently to what we all had to say. It's based on the Friday pre fish events of last year. My interpretation of the rules for the open division are No observer...culling allowed. Essentially It's a limited/no rules one day derby taking place on two consecutive days.

For us who fish Am division, It looks like we lost a half hour + fishing time? We only have 15 min from the time we leave the dock till we can start fishing. Some ports require 10- 15 min just to get out to the lake. We also now have to be back by 1 instead of 2. I'm not sure how I feel about that? Gonna be a full throttle Chinese fire drill In the morning!! I understand It's designed to speed up the Weigh In process, but It may limit how far we can travel from the port. Still no culling In the Am but at least our limit was raised to 9 fish :clap::clap:

Myself along with 2 others will be signing up in Olcott as Observers for the Niagara Pro/Am. We are limiting ourselves to 22' boats or larger.

I realize it is a little early, however send me a PM for those who may need us this coming Pro/Am on 6/6 & 6/7 and if there are any Tournament orginizers out there I will be available for the for the Big Boys Tournament on June 8th with the same request of 22' boats or larger.

Thanks,

Howie Nola

I was somewhat excited about the open division but now that I see the rules I am a lot less interested. I like the concept of a division that does not require an observer AND allows culling. What I don't like about the open division is:

- It is really 2 seperate 1 day "derbies" rather than a bonifide 3rd division of the tournament

- Having to be in line to weigh by 12 noon. Lets see, if I am fishing out of wilson and trailering my boat and fishing the usual waters for that time of year (say around 4 mile), then I need to pull lines about 10:15 to 10:30 to make the weigh in! Seems silly to me.

True Pete, but I did not see a time to start, so it looks like you can leave whatever time you want. Get to the fish before the big boys get to them, JMHO, I like you do not like the 12pm weigh in, but like the no observer. See you this spring.

Rich

I'm thinking a poll might be In order here ?

Pete, like Rich said, you can leave port and start fishing anytime. . My interpretation as the rule reads Is that you could leave port anytime during the night or morning, I'm guessing a 12:01 am departure would technically be legal. You could definitely have more fishing time than the Am division, which now has to be back by 1pm, but can't start fishing till 5:30am.

YES !!! A poll with provide the answers..............

NOT

:D:D:rofl::rofl: I guess I didn't finish my thought....I figured you guys could read my mind :$:)

I guess I was Just wondering who will be fishing what division & how many would now be considering the open division? That's the poll I was referring to. Guess I should have said that ;)

Can someone clear this up for me regarding the OPEN division. No observer is clear, no culling? but a 3 man team can take a limit of fish (9) and the best 3 have to be given to the weighmaster by noon each day? and you can start at any time after midnight. If thats the case it sounds good to me. The fact is the tourny will attract teams that either don't want to or can't provide a observer for the Am., or can only commit to one day of fishing, and they could still fish with a chance to cash in, is a good thing IMHO. I think it's a positive move by the committe and should attract more boats.

I'm considering the open division. Does anyone know the payout structure???

I spoke to Paul Czarnecki and he could not remember what the entrance fee was for the Open Division but he said it was less than the Am. fee which makes the payout less of course. Paul also said you could enter for one or both days, which would mean seperate prize money each day. I think the start time is the same as the pro/am. If it is not than you would have to seperate the fish prior to the start of the Pro/Am and that could have an effect on your legal limit.

I think the committee intends to start both at 5:30 which will leave the Pro's with 1/2 less fihing time if they were to enter.

I believe the Open Division was a way to have those who are against Observers to enter a contest.

My $.02 ;););)

My questions on the new open division are...

1). Big Steelhead/Big Salmon payouts?

2). Cooler check on Friday?

3). I understand you can "cooler cull", but can you also cull all day?

4). Prize payouts

5). 12:01 am start time?

6). Six or eight rods? (Since it is not inforceable)

7). Is there a mandatory captain's meeting requirement since there are no observer issues?

i wonder why they changed the times. It kind of puts a hinder on making a run to find the fish and with the ability to catch 3 more fish you'd think they wouldn't shorten our fishing time. Might need to borrow the neighbor’s cigarette boat to make up some time to the fishing grounds. lol