Cayuga Miliken Station

Staying on Cayuga lake with the family for a week. Have had no problem catching lakers 80-130' fow. Watermelon cowbells and gambler rigs doing damage on downriggers with froggy and green/black spoons taking them on the dipsys. Haven't had much luck with the silvers, I did get a landlock that was just legal in the boat this morning but let him live to see another day. The entire family loves fish so we've been keeping a few lakers to eat which has been great. The kids love to see the fish and eat them as well!28368.jpeg28253.jpeg28251.jpeg

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

Cool pics of the kids and the obvious enjoyment:yes: Any of the females will have eggs but it is the condition or status of them that makes a difference. They shouldn't be spewing out of them yet if that is what you mean most will be unripened around now.

Edited by Sk8man

Looks like you have an excited pair of fishing partners.  Love to see kids getting involved.  Thanks for posting.  

I've been trying to figure out silvers on Cayuga for a couple years now.  Leadcore 5, 7 and 10 have worked recently along with occasional rigger hits.  If you are working the Gamblers and cowbells deep, try a sliding cheater and you might get a silver higher in the column

Thanks for the ideas doc. I had awesome luck last weekend on dipseys with the silvers but that must have been a one and done. The cheaters are a good idea since I like to fish for lakers and silvers as the same time to keep the action up for the kids. I have some leadcore as well I will have to start running. The kids are being introduced to river and lake fishing this year. They've both spent a lot of time at our pond at home fishing and my daughter is getting pretty good at handling the pole on her own. My boy is only 2-1/2 so he's just getting the idea. They both love eating fish though.

Good stuff.  Enjoy the journey as they grow.  The years pass and they will have other priorities, but they will always be up for the occasional fishing trip.  My youngest just graduated high school so now all 3 will be spreading their wings but they still are up for an afternoon troll now and then.....sunrise trips don't work with them anymore.  

There you go. I'm thinking that is a nice looking rainbow as hints of pink on the side and freckles on the tail.  Perhaps some others will chime in on what it is.  See attached photo to compare the 3 Cayuga silvers.  Trolling Cayuga right now is like a box of chocolates......couple weeks ago I brought in landlocks, the 3 types of trout and a pickerel in a pear tree!  Just a super time to be out on the water.

0705201217b.jpg

The pink is actually a reflection from my wives pink shirt, she made the 4:30 wake up call with me this morning. I was thinking with the larger blotchy spots that was a landlock as opposed to a rainbow with smaller more uniform spots. I am not an expert by any means though. Interested to see what others think.

4 hours ago, GoneFitchin said:

The pink is actually a reflection from my wives pink shirt, she made the 4:30 wake up call with me this morning. I was thinking with the larger blotchy spots that was a landlock as opposed to a rainbow with smaller more uniform spots. I am not an expert by any means though. Interested to see what others think.

Well she definitely deserves an assist for being an early riser!  I hope you let her reel some in too.

1 minute ago, 58Johnson said:

Fleas are at a medium level. Definitely 30lb test needed. This hot weather will make them much worse.

Weeds have been my enemy. Need some steady winds to blow them away.

Agreed.  If the action is steady the flea buildup isnt too bad.  The weeds definitely became an issue this week.  Sunday  I had a dypsey rod fire and drag peeled out 20 feet.  After a lengthy battle I managed to boat a personal best 5 pound plus weed pod

Weeds have definitely been a pain. Fleas are getting worse. It's still very fishable though. My biggest issue is my knot between my wire and mono on the dipsy rods builds up heavy and is hard to crank through the twili tip. I have 30lb on my downrigger rods and it's been manageable but if one doesn't get hit for a while it gets a little nasty.

My brother in law and nephew joined us today. The first 45.minutes getting the poles in was a challenge as we landed 5 fish while trying to get the poles all in the water. Took a steady pick of fish until about 10:00 then it slowed down but we still got a fish here and there. Fleas are a pain and still plenty of weeds plugging things up. Team work cleaning line as the other fought the wish was the key today and worked out well. As always it's a joy including more family on the boat. The silvers evaded me completely today, but I will keep working on that. The boys wanted some fish to eat and freeze so we kept a limit of lakers today.IMG_20200709_132522050_HDR.jpeg

• Like 2