New Motor In The Jerk Boat

REELJERKS

I was wondering what is Chic pointing at?

Main bearing cap. Ya did good it's even a 4 bolt main block.

And as far as the back hoe and tree with the chain fall. Been there done it. What ever it takes to get er done. :)

Give me a "come along", a chain, a screw driver, and vise grips and I could wank that motor out for ya ;):D :shock:

Mark as I said when we talked about motor options, 4 bolt mains are the way to go - stronger lower end. Now let's keep cold water out of it :$

Glad you got her back up and running last season, it got lonely offshore BANGING KINGS AND STEELHEAD :D

• 1 month later...

I replaced a motor in my Wellcraft last winter. I recieved a BRAND NEW gm 350 long block, delivered, with 2 year warrenty and no core charge for the total of $2,300.00. www.michiganmotorz.com

A word of advice - stay away from jasper - have heard of alot of problems with their rebuilt units.

Steve: Thanks for the atta boy :lol: But your right about Jasper. Seen too many problems with them in marine use. Esp. outdrives.

Draggin: If you have to repower. Go with a 350 instead of a 305. Everything will transfer over the same with no problems. Plus the extra HP.

Thanks for the info guys! I was leaning towards Jasper too! :shock:

Not only do I need to replace the engine, but I have to figure out the underlying problem of why it overheated to begin with. I am told that it was idling at the dock while the previous owner was parking the truck, he walked back to find steam rising from the engine and before he could shut it down to investigate, it seized.

Obviously, it wasn't drawing any/enough water into the engine...maybe plugged risers/manifolds? I don't know....gonna have to wait for warmer weather to find out.

Easy enough to ck. the impeller. Pull the 3 3/8ths bolts on the top plastic cover and the 3 on the plastic pump housing. That will tell you real quick if it was impeller failure or not then go from there. Need help or question's. Let me know.

I got a really nice 85 sea ray 230 w/260 mercrusier given to me. the previous owner apparently pulled the spark plugs for some unknown reason and left them out for a year. Although the motor cover was in place and the boat was covered it took on moisture and siezed, i'm assuming its only the rings. Question, when i pull the motor is there anything i ought to be careful of that might not be in the book. It appears pretty straight forward, i have already removed the outdrive

any insight would be greatly appreciated !

ted

Besides the impeller, impeller side plates and housing, check your heat exchanger, also check the hose in your lower unit where it swivels up. That's the newest overheating problem we found. It will break and you lose water flow to the engine. Put a set of ears on the lower unit and see if there is water flowing where it shouldn't.