Conesus How to Fish Conesus South End

Reel Doc

Tomorrow we are headed to visit family at the South end of Conesus lake.    I've never been on that lake before.  Since I like to fish, the crew is expecting me to show them how to catch something.   Brother-in-law has a pontoon boat but no gear to speak of.  Any thoughts on some options would be appreciated.  

Drop shot along drop offs and you will find smallmouth.  Cast spoons along weed edges for northerns and tiger musky.  Walleye can be tricky but I have caught some at this time of the year off my buddies dock at night with stickbaits.  

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

Drop shot along drop offs and you will find smallmouth.  Cast spoons along weed edges for northerns and tiger musky.  Walleye can be tricky but I have caught some at this time of the year off my buddies dock at night with stickbaits.  

"Drop Shot"?  Please help me out on what that means.   Have to look at topography map and guess on depth as no electronics on the pontoon

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

"Drop Shot"?  Please help me out on what that means.   Have to look at topography map and guess on depth as no electronics on the pontoon

On 9/25/2020 at 7:39 PM, dickey said:

I have done well on that lake trolling stick baits along the shorelines in 15-20’. Caught some nice pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I loved that idea but the crew all backed out of an evening or early morning troll.  Certainly loads of weedline here to make great predator fish cover.  

0927201116.jpg

That lake is similar to Chautauqua in many  ways. When I have a crew of newbies on board, I will grab some nitecrawlers and some white marabou jigs to tip with a small piece. Find the hard weed edge on the side of the lake the waves are crashing on and anchor the boat just off the edge on the clean bottom. Drop lines to bottom, bring bait up 1’ and tingle it. Fish from dinner time til 10-11 pm. You will catch almost every species in the lake to complete a fish fry.