Okuma high vs low speed reels

dhm

I am looking for information on how the high speed reels work for catching salmon. I like the idea of a faster retrieve but would like to know how that effects fighting a good king. Anyone have experience with the high speed reels. (24 in. vs 36.3 in.)

The higher the gear ratio in a reel the less torque it has. 36 inches per turn isn't that much and should still have good power. When you get to the reels that have 48 inches per turn then you really notice the lack of power. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhm said:

I am looking for information on how the high speed reels work for catching salmon. I like the idea of a faster retrieve but would like to know how that effects fighting a good king. Anyone have experience with the high speed reels. (24 in. vs 36.3 in.)

Absolutely love high speed reels (30 series) for riggers and divers. Besides the high speed also change the reel handle location on all of my Okuma reels (back hole in the reel handle). I feel this really helps with the torque issue that you experience with high speed.

I also really like high speeds for short coppers and leadcores (30 and 45 series reels) however Im not a huge fan of fighting a big fish on a big copper with a high speed reel. This is where you really notice the loss of torque with high speed reels. Little fish you dont notice it as much though. High speeds are great when you need to change baits but IMO dont offer any advantage fighting fish. I actually prefer a standard Okuma Convector 55 for my big coppers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Legacy said:

Absolutely love high speed reels (30 series) for riggers and divers. Besides the high speed also change the reel handle location on all of my Okuma reels (back hole in the reel handle). I feel this really helps with the torque issue that you experience with high speed.

Never thought about changing the reel handle location on my high speed Convectors. Gonna give it a try on my wire 30DS reels and see if there’s a noticeable difference. Thanks for the tip

1 hour ago, UNREEL said:

Never thought about changing the reel handle location on my high speed Convectors. Gonna give it a try on my wire 30DS reels and see if there’s a noticeable difference. Thanks for the tip

Very simple thing to do but Im so glad I did it to all of my reels.

• Like 1

Can make a big difference. I have run power handles on every reel I have that they make them for (e.g. Penns, Okumas etc.) They are worth the money to do. Other reels i have done exactly as described by Rob where they allow for it..

• Like 1